SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeannine

Could I have hurt my dog with a dremel?

Jeannine
14 years ago

Hey all, I usually stick to the home decor forum, but I need a little feedback on this and thought I'd post here.

I have a two year old golden retriever who is extremely fit and athletic. I am a voracious reader about all things dog-related and decided long ago to use a dremel on his nails instead of clippers.

Last night, we had a grooming session and it went just fine...I filed his nails down, brushed him out, cleaned his ears, and brushed his teeth. Everything seemed just fine, though he was a little hyper afterwards, but he's a young golden and that's not totally unusual.

My boyfriend just took him out for a walk and to play ball this morning and called me at work to say that Baxter is favoring one leg. I asked him to check over each part of his leg to see if there was any reaction and there was none. I asked him to look at the pads of the paws and he said they didn't have any debris in them.

I did not hit his quick when I was filing, but is it possible that I simply went too close and the pressure is causing discomfort? I told my boyfriend to take him inside and keep him from the usual running around until I can get home, but I just wanted to get some thoughts from a few other dog owners.

Obviously, if there is no improvement or any worsening, we'll be off to the vet, but I'm wondering if I should be looking for anything else.

Comments (9)