SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaun_gw

Pots and Pans..... your choice?

15 years ago

Hi everyone~

I'm thinking of replacing my pots and pans and am wondering what your choice would be if you were buying a new set?

Price *is* a factor so the best cookware for the best price is what I'm looking for. And I'd like to be able to put this cookware in the oven.

Thanks for your help!! Sure do appreciate it~

Comments (45)

• 15 years ago

I wouldn't buy a set. I'd buy some pieces of Le Crueset, some pieces of All-Clad, etc.

If you really want a set, and price is a big deal, then find a Costco and look at the Costco store-brand (Kirkland) lines. I have friends who have those sets and I have to say they've held up well and perform very well indeed, especially for the price.

• 15 years ago

We bought a set of stainless from Sams years ago. Members Mark tri-clad. I don't remember what we paid but it was a fraction of the price of all-clad and they are still going strong. I've also got some Le Crueset my wife bought at a place called Tuesday Morning or something like that. I think they sell stuff that retailers want to get rid of. It's all good stuff but if I had to do it over again I'd do like Mary said. I'd buy one piece at a time and go top of the line. I could throw away half the pots and pans I have and never miss them.

• Related Discussions

What 3 pots/pans are most important to your everyday cooking?

Q

Comments (11)
    1. Large (12"?) saut� pan, aluminium with stainless steel interior, pretty tall sides and helper handle, a KitchenAid that my second mom found at a flea market for $15-ish and decided I needed. Uses: general frying, braising, saut�ing. A couple times each year I take a buffing pad, drill, and metal polish, shine the interior to a mirror, the pan is slick like ice for awhile. 2. Medium (10"?) cast iron pan, some cheapo Taiwanese no-namer, that the same friend got for me at the same market for the same price. Uses: searing, stirfrying, general frying. So easy to clean, nothing ever sticks, happiest when it's smoking. 3. 7 qt Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker, bought with the encouragement of the CF, and opened whole new vistas through the magic of time compression. Uses: slow cooking fast, fast cooking faster, stocks, stews, pot roasts, legumes, grains, also works as an everyday deep pot. If I was putting together a traveling kitchen, I might bring the smaller pressure cooker and a smaller saut� pan, just depends on space restrictions.
    ...See More

What are your interior drawer measurements for pots and pans?

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi carecooks: I'm kind of like my bread drawer. We switched from a standard depth fridge to a counter depth one with the reno, so I thought I'd keep our bread in the drawer rather than the fridge because of the lost fridge space. However we ended up keeping regular sandwich bread and tortillas in the fridge anyway to avoid mold. (Some of the tortillas seem to get moldy really fast, like a few days, if they're at room temp.) So we use the bread drawer for oatmeal, crackers, MW popcorn, stuff like that. Now I'm thinking I should use it for pasta too, because that gets kind of buried in my pantry. I like having the acrylic top -- I don't know if it really keeps things fresher, but it makes me feel like it will! And regarding #3 above: weigh the food processor first and ask the cabinet maker/supplier about keeping it in a drawer. I thought I would keep my KA mixer in a drawer and our cabinet maker said a pantry shelf (built in, not a roll out) would be better because of the weight. I do keep my blender in a drawer, with the glass part separated from the base due to height. (It's in the drawer in my first picture above.) Regarding #2: set them up on the counter(or better yet in a box) how you would imagine them in a drawer, giving yourself the confines of the planned width and depth of the drawer, then measure how high they go. My skillet handle fits in between pots on an angle because it's so long, so I had to work around it to make things fit. Someone posted a picture of how they hung their pots in a cabinet... maybe the "hidden gems" thread? It was clever and nicely organized.
    ...See More

How do you store your pots & pans

Q

Comments (11)
    I have one lower cabinet, 14" wide. Traditional depth, with two roll out shelf/drawers. Top drawer has a 12" pan I use almost daily with lid kept on the pan. Two small stainless saucepans with lids on in front of big pan. Second drawer has 8" skillet with the 4 quart pot on top of each other. They are the same size, so the don't nest, just stack. The lid fits both and kept on which ever pan is on top. Medium saucepan in front of that with the lid on. Cast iron skillet is kept in the broiler. Are the pans you are nesting really being used on a daily basis? Can you remove any of those not frequently used and stop nesting? I cook almost every day of the year and it's important to me to just reach in and grab what I need without having to move something. I need new pans and HD wanted to pick up a set at Costco. Nope, says I. I'd rather pay more at a specialty shop and get just the size pans I need and will fit in my storage. Gloria
    ...See More

An alternative for pot and pans storage

Q

Comments (6)
    thanks for this post! I did not even know something like this was available. Great idea for storage and I am looking for (after market) storage for my new cabinets. Our cabinets did not have a many fancy storage choices, but I figured I could find some storage options...and I love this! Can you tell me what size this cabinet is? looks as if is at least a 24". We will have a 24" just to the right of the new range and this would be perfect if it fits! Do they make several sizes? As far as noise, I know I make noise digging/looking for the right pan in a regular cabinet! ...so not a bother,,,your going to make noise in the kitchen one way or another. I will check on ebay!! thanks for the post!!
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

Shaun, I agree with above about not buying a set but evaluate and buy according to your usage. About 6 years ago I decided to buy grown-up cookware and did some research. I found that Tramontina (Brazilian made) tri-ply clad was pretty equal in performance to All-Clad but for a much more affordable price. My timing was right as Marshalls/TJMaxx had tons of the pieces so I could pick and choose.

• 15 years ago

I have a huge stainless steel lidded frypan/pot that I got at Costco..it's Tramontina..I love it..I use it for a million things..it's heavy though..so if I need to pour out of it..I have to get some help! LOL

• 15 years ago

Sam's Members Mark tri-clad is not currently available, only their non-stick set.

If you want pots/pans go into the oven, you may want to stay away from non-stick.

Since you mentioned price is limited, here's a set you may want to look into. Nowadays, many quality brands cookware are made in China, so considering this set wasn't a problem to me. I just bought myself this Condord/Leisureman 3-ply set at the link below. I fist saw it at Overstock.com but eBay price was much less for the same set. I purchased this set because of the size pots I needed. I like them just as much as my Calphalon Contemporary set.

The same vendor that I purchased the set is no longer selling it. However, I found another eBayer. They use the same photo of the set but they did not list the brand name. You may want to ask them to make sure. Or, if you prefer, you may get it from Overstock.com: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Concord-10-piece-Tri-ply-Stainless-Steel-Cookware-Set/2967108/product.html

Btw, if you use PayPal to pay at eBay, they're having a discount coupon that you can use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Concord/Leisureman 3-ply set

• 15 years ago

OH, one more suggestion--Peppi got me an "everyday pan". I really like it and use it almost "everyday". I now have 3 sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read The Reviews

• 15 years ago

Cathy, I think that depends on what type of stove you have because Elery bought one of those Calphalon Every Day pans and he didn't like it so he brought it to me and I don't like it either.

I can't pick it up and pour something out of it without burning myself, it needs a better and longer handle and the rounded bottom tips on my gas burners.

I do have several pieces of Calphalon hard anodized and I love it but I'm told the newer (and cheaper) stuff is no longer made in Ohio, it's made in China. Blech. So check before you take my recommendation!

Annie

• 15 years ago

Shaun, are sure you want a set? Most sets have pans you will use very seldom...why spend money on something you may never use. I would buy each piece separate at a discount store where the prices are very reasonable. (TJMaxx, Home Goods, Tuesday Morning, etc.)

I am another that loves Tramontina tri-ply. Make sure you get the tri-ply and not the lighter gauge pots. I got mine at Tuesday Morning.

• 15 years ago

I have a set of Costco's Kirkland brand Clad stainless (SS with layer of copper sandwiched in-between on the bottom.) I tried the Calphalon every-day, but they warp, and so I can't use them on my smooth-top stove. I can say that I use all the pieces in the particular set I bought. I love the set, and they look like new - any stubborn stains come off with Bar-keeper's Friend.

In addition I have one heavy-duty non-stick pan for eggs.

The only thing I need now is a heavy Dutch oven to braise things in the oven - but I don't miss that really because I do okay braising and stewing on the stovetop.

• 15 years ago

I don't understand not liking sets. I have lots of pots and pans and use all of them. Sets are basic starter kits (at a good price, usually) to which the dutch ovens, tagines, paella pans, and turkey roasters are eventually added. While, yes, you can do everything in 2 pots, most of us don't.
    But I have no set recommendations! I'm out of it as far as what's the hot "Cook's Illustrated Best Set". However, there are lots of threads on the cookware forum that cover this topic that might be helpful.
    And remember, a good cook can cook in a bad pan, not vice versa.

• 15 years ago

No I'm not sure I want a set, it's just that I've always bought sets so I'm used to doing it that way. Old habits I guess. But I don't have to keep doing it like that.

The set I have now I've had only for about 7 or 8 yrs. I bought it on QVC it's the hard anodized pans that can go into the oven as well on a smooth cooktop. You can bake a cake in one of the pans. Love them but I noticed the non-stick is starting to come off. I admit, I'm bad about grabbing a metal utensil and stirring so I thought maybe I should get stainless steel. Then it bothers me that food will stick to it.

I guess I could start out buying pieces of a really good quality and work my way up to a 'set'. I really do use all the pots and pans that came in the set I have.

I went through a set of Pampered Chef that I had many years ago, they didnt' last very long at all; my fault again.

I've been looking online - my gosh some sets are over $1000!!

I kinda like the idea to buy one pan/pot at a time and work my way up to having a full set of a really good quality pot/pan.

Thanks for that suggestion! I would have never thought to do that on my own.

Another reason I love this forum! Thanks guys~

• 15 years ago

A few years ago I splurged and bought several All Clad pots. Shortly after that I got a piece of LeCreuset and I liked it so well that I bought several more LeCreuset pieces. I rarely use my AC pots, probably 90% of the time I use a LeCreuset piece. LeCreuset is terribly expensive but is worth every penny, IMO.

• 15 years ago

One of the main reasons not to buy a set is because who wants a stainless steel dutch oven with a non stick interior? But I do want a stainless 1 qt sauce pan and a 2 qt...but don't want a non stick finish....suppose I want to caramelize some sugar? That pan won't work well
    at all! But I want that non stick finish on the fry pan....even on 2 or 3 fry pans!
    How about a slow cooked pot roast? Where you brown the meat on the stove top, and de-glaze with a bit of wine, add some onions and mushrooms and stick it into a 225 oven for about 3 hours....cast iron enamel coated will work best for that.....sure you CAN do it in a clad stainless pot...but the cast iron is so much better why waste any money on anything else?
    Buy the best piece for the intended puropse....who cares if they match at all?
    Just buy one piece at a time....and then when you know whats' most important, or see something you just LOVE....why pick that up too.
    The only thing I can think of to buy in a set is 3 nesting clad stainless sauce pans...1 qt.. 1 1/2 qt and 2q t....
    Linda C

• 15 years ago

I love love love my circulon but that can't go in the oven - I have a set of circulon and a la creuset dutch oven and it's met all my needs -- enjoy whatever you buy -I know when I got my new stuff cooking was even more enjoyable!

• 15 years ago

Do you want non-stick or regular? I have regular All-Clad master chef and it's wonderful. I try not to use non-stick very much because I worry about chemicals. I use cast iron much more often than the non-stick. The only reason I have the All-Clad was because I got it on clearance at Macy's. My second choice was the Member's Mark at Sam's Club. Also, keep checking TJ Maxx/Marshall's. They sometimes have awesome deals on high end cookware.

Tracey

• 15 years ago

Tracey I do like non-stick. I dont worry about chemicals and I dont have pet birds. I prefer them totally. I just have to stop scratchng them up!!

• 15 years ago

Here is another vote for a mix of stainless steel and Le Creuset, and making your own set as you go.

After using EkcoFlint stainless steel pans for 35 years, we retired those and started to buy All Clad stainless a piece at a time, frequently through the "try-me" promotions they had. Then in the GW Kitchens Forum, I learned about an All Clad outlet of sorts -- www.cookwarenmore.com -- and purchased a stockpot and some other larger pieces at great savings and with super results. We have one All Clad non-stick skillet, purchased when a local store went out of business, and that's plenty of non-stick.

• 15 years ago

I have a bit of LeCreuset -- French Oven, casserole, AllClad 3q sauce pan, 1.5q sauce pan and a fry pan, an old cast iron skillet that's a work horse that I've had forever and 3 Mauviel, tin-lined copper pieces that I adore. I love all of my pieces but the coppers are newer and I'm still honeymooning them! These are all of my most often used pieces, all bought over time to replace the not so good stuff one by one!

• 15 years ago

I followed the advice of this forum when shopping for my pots and pans. I went to the stores and handled all of them and realized that I didn't like the heavy expensive stuff like All Clad. I went with Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless. I got most of the pieces from Amazon. They even make a non-stick version so I wound up with two non-stick skillets that match all the others. I find odd pieces at TJ maxx sometimes and just keep adding to the collection. I also love my Le Creuset and I think I will eventually love the purple Staub from QVC that is wrapped under my tree just waiting for me. At least I hope that is what he got me ;->

• 15 years ago

I bought the Sam's Makers Mark about a year ago. I absolutely love it. I bought the non stick and it still looks brand new and is good and heavy. Everyone who sees it wants to know where I bought it.

• 15 years ago

Might as well throw in my two cents.

DH bought for us, in 1986, the original Calphalon Anodized. Over the years I have made the following changes - we still use some of the original set.

I LOVE cooking in the aluminum of Calphalon but it warps. So I buy cheap, unanodized 3 qt saute pans with long handles at restaurant supply stores and toss 'em when they start rocking and rolling on the burners. For those of you concerned about the Alzheimer's research - ever eat out? Check out what they use in the kitchen. Aluminum has most of the even heat retention of cast iron but is much lighter. Drawback: not dishwasher safe.

I bought a cheap, CHEAP Wearever stainless steel 5 qt pot and steamer for pasta and veggies. Goes in the dishwasher.

If you want to look at stainless steel like All Clad, I suggest you try the handles. It is uncomfortable for those who cook holding the handles 'palm down', great for 'palm up'. Speaking of which, consider what kind of handles you want. I like long ones (yeah, right....). They are bulky in the storage areas. Cathy's Everyday pan has loops.

I buy cheap non-stick fry pans because they scratch. So far my $15 Ikea job has outlasted anything I've owned.

I have a Lodge cast iron enameled 6 qt dutch oven and a non-enameled fry pan. Love 'em both. Heavy and perfect for their jobs. I also have an 8 qt dutch oven, Calphalon anodized, that I picked up for $20 on Amazon (thanks for the heads up kframe!).

IF you use you dishwasher to wash your pans/pots - think stainless. I use stainless sparingly because I don't think it cooks as well as aluminum, which has to be hand washed.

Does anyone know if the old Corningware blue stuff goes in the dishwasher? They don't make it anymore. Great pots - unlike the new products, these old ones go on the rangetop.

• 15 years ago

Jessyf -- to answer your question. Yes Corning Ware can go in the dishwasher! As far as cookware goes I had to get all new when I got the cooktop stove. I ended up with inexpensive stainless steel with the glass lids and then I bought new cheap non stick fry pans at Target. I don't even know the brand but I get new ones when the non stick surface wears out!
    Joann

• 15 years ago

Shaun, J C Penneys has on sale - for today and wednesday only - an 8 piece Tramontina nonstick porcelain enamel cookware set for $39.99 -reg. $99.99. Made in Italy.
    Item # 782-1413
    I don't know anything about this brand, but saw that mustangs and terripacnw recommended it.
    The price is right!
    Di

• 15 years ago

Although I have a good set I find I use certain pieces and not the whole set so I agree to buy a couple of signature pieces instead of the full set. Recently I ve fell in love with the LeCrueset dutch DH bought me but I have to admit I constantly (almost every day) use my Macy's non stick TOOLS OF THE TRADE pan which is about 14 inches and is fabulous. I bought these (3) of them about 5 years ago and then every member of the family ran out and bought them and now they swear its there favorite too! Last week while in Macys I looked for it but seen none...wondering if they are available anymore paid 19.99 on the one day sale would pay 100.00!

• 15 years ago

Shaun, here is what my Tramontina tri-ply looks like.

• 15 years ago

I have a set, plus additional pieces of Calphalon Anodized, including a 16 Quart Pasta pot with insert.(this one doesn't get used much, as it is way too heavy when full). As well as a set of All-Clad stainless. In addition I also have a couple of Dutch Ovens, two Staubs and one of Mario Batali's.And a couple of Le Crueset pots. I have the large All-Clad roasting pan, and Mario Batali's small cast iron/enameled roaster/lasagna pan. And a three piece vintage set of Griswold cast iron. Like Cathy I have three "everyday" pans. Including one by Le Crueset. I like this style of pan. Plus some other odd size pots.

I probably have way to may pots, but, most of them get used, if not on a daily basis, often enough that I'm glad I have them all.

As many have suggested Shaun, I wouldn't buy a complete set. Just buy individual pieces. This way you can buy the best pot for the job, and you don't have to spend a lot of money at one time. You can continue to add to your collection. Don't worry about buying "Le Crueset". There are a number of companies that make quality cast iron dutch ovens, including Staub and Batali , and the price will be better. They will last you just as long.

Ann

• 15 years ago

I have had a set of All-Clad for a few years now and love it!
    I bought their little $20 pan they offer now and then and used it over a year before I bought them. It sold me. They are awfully high priced, but I have absolutely no complaints other than the weight.

• 15 years ago

I recently had to replace my favorite stainless saucepan. Because it came as part of a set, I couldn't find one like it. I bought a Wolfgang Puck sauce pan reluctantly. Well, I love my new pan so much, that I'm thinking of replacing all my pans with more of these. I bought my Wolfgang Puck at a TJ Maxx type store, so of course it was a bargain. Only drawback, like other cookware that can go into the oven, I'm still getting used to the fact that the handle can get hot. (My old pan had a stay-cool handle.)

• 15 years ago

Here is a nice stainless set I would buy. It's a great price and I would use all the pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisinart

• 15 years ago

bumblebeez that's the exact set I looked at before I posted this!! The reason I didnt' order it was because it's not non-stick. That's kinda freaks me out. But that is a beautiful set isn't it? Those All Clad are nice looking too but the heavy part is a no-can-do for me. I have no upper body strength and my arms are weak, due to broken neck years ago.

I want to thank you all for such wonderful advice. Here all these years I was all matchy matchy thinking everything had to come in a set.

You've all taught me they don't. The Pots and Pans police won't come arrest me if there are 3 different pots/pans cooking at the same time on the same stove! hahahah!

Thanks so much guys!

• 15 years ago

I have some Cuisinart SS and some All Clad. Cuisinart is great for anything fast but now slower cooking. Otherwise I prefer the AC. You do have to learn to lift from under. Both go in the DW and come out perfectly clean.
    I also have 2 old cast iron pans, a dutch oven and a fry pan that I love.

• 15 years ago

What kind of stove do you have? While I like enameled cast iron, I have to be really careful with not scratching my smooth top so I don't use them as much as I might like. And they are so darn heavy!

• 15 years ago

I have a smooth cooktop.

• 15 years ago

Shaun, please don't buy a set of "non-stick" pans. It is okay to have one or two of those, especially a frying pan, but you really don't want a set of non-stick. A good set of stainless and a couple of enamel/cast iron dutch ovens will last you the rest of your life. Non-stick will have to be replaced many times.

Ann

• 15 years ago

I agree, Ann, a whole set of non-stick is unnecessary. A nonstick frying pan for eggs is good but no one needs a non stick stock pot or anything similar.

My favorite pans are my plain old unbranded cast iron skillets, but they're heavy and could damage a smooth cook top. I have that Griswold chicken fryer that I bought at a yard sale for a couple of bucks, it's wonderful too, and the Lodge cast iron dutch oven is what I use for deep frying and things like pot roast.

The Calphalon is good for eggs, quick saute or stir fry items and "sticky" stuff, like candy. The big 8 1/2 quart Calphalon non-anodized I use for jam, it's so low and flat that I get the necessary evaporation very quickly. I seldom use it for anything else though.

I do have one Le Crueset frying pan that Elery bought on Ebay. It's fine, but no better than the enameled Lodge that my mother has and it's heavy, heavy enough that Elery can "flip" an egg but I can't because my wrist isn't that strong!

Annie

• 15 years ago

Shaun, that cusinart is the set that I have and I can tell you that they clean up great. My brother was staying with me once and made pudding, cooked on my smooth top on high! He walked away and burnt the heck out of it. I thought the pot was a goner but it cleaned up like nothing ever happened. My set is supplemented with a chef's classic 12inch non-stick and a smaller egg pan in non-stick.

Here is the non-stick skillet that matches the set.

Here is a link that might be useful: non-stick

• 15 years ago

Hi Shaun,

I have that Cuisinart set too and like it. I hang my pots and pans and can slip the lids over the pot handles. I agree with the comment "not slower cooking." That said, it's sturdy, not too heavy and cleans up well for normal use. I use barkeepers friend on it for heavy duty clean up.

I'm actually trying to get away from buying $$$$ non-stick pieces -- too short-lived and too high maintenance.

BTW, you might be able to pick up a reduced piece at TJ Maxx to try. Good luck -- a fun buy!

Cathy in SWPA

• 15 years ago

I agree with the others that you do not want a whole set of non-stick. I have a hodge podge of pots and pans, and I love them all. I bought them to suit me. I also have others that belonged to my grandmother and I wouldn't trade them for the world - the old, good stuff and I have had several people willing to pay me some good money for a couple of the pots.

You've gotten great advice here.

• 15 years ago

Hi Shaun:

I'm one of those who has a cookware set (Cuisinart) and find that I don't use half the items.

If I were to do it again, I'd buy specific items for specific tasks.

Before going any further in your shopping, take fifteen minutes to read the post at the link. It's pretty technical, but even if you retain only a tenth of the info you'll still know more than the average sales clerk at a kitchen store.

My own preferences: I love Le Creuset dutch ovens (okay, they call them French ovens, but that's just Gallic arrogance), and their imitators seem to cook nearly as well at a fraction of the price. I got a set of three different sized nonstick skillets at Sam's a few years back for some low price. I like well seasoned black cast iron skillets. And I wouldn't think of having a kitchen without a pressure cooker.

Here is a link that might be useful: understanding stovetop cookware

• 15 years ago

Thanks everyone so much!! I'm going to stop in at TJ Maxx and see what they have on the shelves today!!

• 15 years ago

Shaun, FWIW: I was at the Le Creuset Factory Store in SC over the weekend and didn't buy anything--turns out the Le Creuset factory second pieces I bought at TJMaxx were far cheaper than the seconds available at the Factory Store! And I've bought a few LC imitators there at TJMaxx, and they seem to perform very well.

If you're really watching the $$$ you might consider a pressure cooker set whose pieces could be used for other functions as well. I have the Fagor set at the link, and the 4 qt pot works fairly well as a saute pan, and the 8 qt pot is fine as a stockpot. I paid around $100 for the set.

Here is a link that might be useful: multi set

• 15 years ago

Shaun, I was just at Target and saw that they are now carrying Tramontina enamel/cast iron pots and pans. They are reasonably priced.

• 15 years ago

I second the Fagor set. Not sure what the difference is I have Duo Fagor set. The smaller one is great for long cooking veggies nightly. The big for soups, stews etc.

• 15 years ago

eandhl, the difference is that the Duo series has a high and a low pressure setting.

The Splendid has only one (high) setting.

• 15 years ago

For Christmas 2006 I bought my Mother a set of Wolfgang Puck stainless steel from BJ's, a big box set.

I think the price was right around $100.

So far she has used them pretty hard and they are holding up well.

Last year I bought a set of Farberware Millennium stainless steel with the silicone grip handles. I have used them extremely hard so far and I am VERY pleased with them.

I forget exactly how much I paid for them, but I THINK it was 99.99 with a 30 mail in rebate.