SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Electric tankless water heater or not

kats_meow
14 years ago

I am trying to decide whether to get an electric tankless water heater or a regular electric water heater. I understand that tankless does require upgrading electrical service and often is not an economical choice. My situation does have some factors that cause me to consider. Situation is as follows:

1. Just bought existing house that currently uses propane. Existing water heater is in the utility room. The only location for it in that room is in front of the freezer resulting in only being able to halfway open the door. So that is not a great location for a regular water heater. House is a 2000 sf one story house. Also as currently installed the T&P drain line slopes upward and does not have gravitional flow. In any event, not sure where else a regular water heater could be placed other than the utility room. If anyone has ideas would consider it.

2. Live in Texas, near Houston to it is not usually that cold.

3. Electrical panel is undersized and has a number of problems so we are changing the electrical panel and upgrading from 125 amp to 200 amp service even if we don't get a tankless water heater. We want to convert the house to all electric water than having propane at all.

4. To go tankless, electrician recommends 225 amp service instead of 200. This costs an additional $500 over the 200 amp service we would betting for a standard water heater.

Also for a standard water heater, he would install a 120/240 volt 40 amp circuit. For tankless he would install a 120/240 volt 120 amp circuit which is $535 more. So the extra electrical for the tankless water heater is a total of $1035 more.

I don't love the idea of spending $1035 more for tankless. I am willing to do it if the tankless will be advantageous or if I will be able open my freezer door! With the tankless there would be room to install it and still open the freezer door. Without tankless I would either have to lvie with the freezer door issue (I don't want to) or find somewhere else to relocate the water heater, but not sure what is feasible.

Oh, house is 2000 sf, there are 4 people living in it now. In a few years there will be 2.

Any thoughts?

Comments (5)