SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Tankless water heat or ??

JohnnieB
17 years ago

Yes, I've already read through the threads on tankless water heaters but I think I may have a situation where an electric tankless water heater actually makes sense. We own a rowhouse that has 3 stories plus a basement that is finished as a separate apartment. As part of a fairly major renovation/remodeling project we are converting our third floor/attic into a master bedroom suite, which will mean adding an all-new full bath. We are still in the design process with our architects. Space is tight, our existing (gas) water heater is in the basement, and we share it with our tenant. Although we rarely run out of hot water completely (it has happened on occasion, especially if our tenant has a guest) we're seriously considering an electric tankless water heater for the third floor because of the distance from the existing water heater, plus the fact that our hot water fluctuates whenever our tenant uses water (which can be quite shocking when you're taking a shower, especially in the winter). The tankless heater would ONLY service the third floor bath (i.e., shower & sink). About the only time we will use hot water up there is when we shower in the morning.

So I guess my questions are, how much is this kind of system likely to cost (both equipment & installation), and are there any realistic alternatives? I guess we could install a second conventional water heater on the third floor, but we don't want to give up any space and it would still have to be electric--we have gas but the nearest line is on the first floor (kitchen) on the other side of the house.

Comments (4)