SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ionized_gw

tub/shower valve

ionized_gw
11 years ago

I had some plumbers in last week to do a few things. I am so far behind that I don't have time to figure out how to do all the things that I have never done before, only a few.....

One item was a very slow leak directly under the "coupler" to the hot water valve. Note that this is a three-valve system with a pull-out diverter in a 50s-early 60s bathroom. It is all copper and there is an elbow directly under that valve body and very close to the fitting that screws onto the valve. I had the paneling off the wall opposite the tub and I noticed a little moisture on the bottom of the elbow. The leak is so slow that after a shower, it is dry for a while due to the heat in the pipe.

Plumber had a hard time getting the fitting unscrewed due to position* and muttered that he was not sure that he could make it work because the fitting is not available any more. After re-setting both the hot and cold side and some cutting and soldering, They left feeling satisfied.

Later, I noticed that the wire lath-backed tiles were cracked around the hot water valve and later still, there was still moisture collecting on the same (slightly repositioned) elbow.

The questions are:

Should that tile have been cracked? In other words, were they careless?

What do I do now, just put in another faucet/diverter assembly? Should I do it myself? It does not look that hard. I have successfully sweated copper pipes a couple of times with at least a decade between attempts. Is the spacing between the three holes/stems standard?

I should have taken a pic. Note that this whole bathroom needs to be redone as more is broken or worn out than sound.

*The installation has the hot water side valve behind an iron vent pipe. The guy repositioned the copper so now it is easier to reach in there.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH