SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgarden_gw

Auger stuck in Storm drain

dreamgarden
13 years ago

We bought a house and had a general as well as a sewer inspection. The sewer inspector ran a snake through our sanitary and storm drains. The sanitary was clean, the storm had tree roots. The SI (sewer inspector) said he wasn't get his camera all the way through the pipe and didn't want to risk getting it stuck.

These are the two options he offered us.

One, trench the yard from the house to the street and replace all the pipe ($1,500).

Two, auger out the storm drain ($250).

We have several large trees (maples) in the yard and have read that trenching near trees can sometimes cause damage that won't show up for years. We didn't want to risk having dead trees fall on our house years down the line so we decided to try the less invasive remedy first and have the drain augered.

The SI said his auger wasn't large enough to do the job and recommended we hire another company with a larger auger.

The other company came out and sure enough the guy's auger got stuck. Said it seemed to have gone through a tile and he couldn't get it out. He said the only thing he could do was return and trench a 3ft section in that area to retrieve his auger. He said he would replace that broken portion of the pipe with pvc but not the entire line. He said this additional cost would run between $600-$1,000.

We purposely chose augering over trenching because we don't want our trees damaged.

I've since read that companies can use different augers and that an arrow bit would have had less of a chance of getting stuck. The guy used a cutting bit and seemed to jam it quite vigorously through the pipe.

I paid them for the augering but am not sure I want to let them come back and replace that section. I feel that since they knew what they were getting into (I told them what the SI said), they should be willing to absorb at least some of the cost to correct their 'mistake'.

The difference in what they would charge to just fix part of the pipe (and get their auger back) is not much less than having the entire thing replaced.

Please tell me if what I am asking for is reasonable. They said something about coming back in two weeks to finish the job. In the meantime, my storm drain next to the sidewalk is open with this coil sticking out of it.

I don't want my trees affected when they come back for their auger so if anyone has any tips about preserving (protecting) them, it would be most welcome.

Comments (8)