SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiequsie60_gw

Form OVER Function?

SusieQusie60
13 years ago

While I've been waiting to get word from my builder and cabinet guy, I've had lots of time to think and become even MORE TKO (if possible.) Reading these posts everyday really has me thinking about what's important to me...and I think either I'm the minority, OR I don't yet realize what's really important to me.

Basically, I've been living with my current kitchen for the past 15 years. When we moved in we put down a new floor and wallpapered/painted the walls. That was it because that was all we could afford. Those were the 2 things I decided to do because I felt I could get the most bang for my buck as far as aesthetics. We have alot of floor space between our galley kitchen and breakfast room. I went for an inexpensive flooring that looked pretty - for a short time.

What has really really bothered me about my kitchen over the years is mostly its appearance. The entire (pretty large) breakfast room is covered in knotty pine. The vinyl floor (which I picked out based only on pricing) is HORRIBLE. The windows are old and ugly. In the kitchen part the cabinets (which are actually a decent quality) are very very old and old-fashioned, but not in a good way. I just don't like the look of them.

The other part of my set-up that I've never been happy with is that there is no where for anyone to "hang" with me while I cook/prepare...which is where everyone always wants to be of course!!! No room at all in the galley kitchen, and if they are in the breakfast room, we really can't see each other.

Now, what really HASN'T bothered me very much at all about my set-up is the fact that I don't have much storage in the galley kitchen; no pantry; not much counter space; really nothing in the way of an efficient kitchen. I love to cook - especially bake, and I do alot of it.

After all that, here's my main point: While planning my new kitchen, I definitely find myself putting the FORM (aesthetics) above the FUNCTION. I sort of figure if things haven't bothered me for 15 years, why would they start bothering me now? Don't get me wrong, my builder is definitely thinking about the "function" part...I just find when I have to make a choice, I'm more likely to go with what looks good!! Am I crazy in that? Does anyone else feel that way: Do you think I will regret my decisions down the line?

Thanks for your thoughts...Hopefully on Monday I'll get some information and we can really get busy with this remodel!!!

SQ

Comments (9)