SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue987

Kitchen layout advice

Sue987
10 years ago

This forum is wonderful! Long time lurker, first time poster. My husband and I are remodeling a house and I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice on the kitchen layout.

There are two of us, no kids. We don't really cook or entertain much now, just simple dinners and take out. I hope to cook more in the future, but DH will probably stick to outdoor grilling. So probably just one, but for resale it would be nice if two people could work at the same time.

Traffic situation: The garage is at the front of the house, so groceries come in (and garbage goes out) down the hall. Not the best floor plan, but it works for us.

Storage needs: We shop frequently and don't need to keep a lot of food on hand. Several grocery stores (Whole Foods etc) are close by. Don't have a lot of gadgets, china or special pans now but I will be buying some.

'Form over function' or 'function over form': Ideally our kitchen will look good and function well, but if I had to choose just one, it's 'form over function'.

Appliances: Would like quality appliances but nothing too extravagant. Want to keep the MW handy, we use it every day for reheating foods, cooking vegetables, frozen foods etc.

36" gas range
Vent hood
36" SZ bottom freezer
Electric oven 27" or 30"
MW (countertop model in appl garage?)
DW standard

* Can't move the sink, window or walls.
* Don't want cooktop on the island.
* Would like to keep fridge and DW where they are, but can move if it works better.
* A prep sink on island would be nice but there's no plumbing. House is on a slab.

VIEW: There's a pretty golf course view in back, so we don't want a wall or wall cabinets between the kitchen and breakfast room. We removed a peninsula with seating because it made the breakfast room very cramped. We use that table a lot, not just for dining, but for laptop (web surfing), paying bills etc. Would love to have it open to the kitchen.

ISLAND: Is the island too big? (since there's no sink or cooktop). Not sure what that big expanse of counter will look like. Could make it smaller (6'-6" long) and center it with the kitchen window. The counters will probably be a taupe quartz, almost solid looking.

RANGE: We could eliminate the extra oven if we did a 48" range, but will it look too big next to the 36" fridge.

OVEN IN ISLAND: I put the oven at the end of the island because I wasn't sure if the oven handle would stick out, and if it would be bothersome to someone working at the island.

PANTRY: There's no pantry in the kitchen but we're adding shelves (5" and 11" deep) in the closet under stairs. Not sure if we should do shelves on one or both sides? There's only 23" between shelves if we do them on both sides, probably too tight. Would also like food storage in the kitchen for frequently used items, possibly base cabinet pullouts?

Thanks in advance for your help! I hope I can get the pictures to post...

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Sue9871/kitchenlayoutjuly7_zps5b4cf44d.jpg?t=1373301873

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Sue9871/rangewalljuly7_zpsbfc3963d.jpg?t=1373298645

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Sue9871/sinkwalljuly7_zps006b76ca.jpg?t=1373298647

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen layout

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!