SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmstev

Sewer smell in bathroom

dmstev
10 years ago

Hi there -
I live in a 2nd floor condo with two bathrooms. There has been a persistent sewer smell coming from the master bathroom (which unfortunately has been making the room itself smell...). I've tried the following: replaced the wax seal on the toilet, snaked toilet/shower/sink (no clogs!), poured drain cleaner down shower/sink (let sit then run with hot water for ~10 min), poured bleach down drains (let sit then run with hot water for ~10 min), leave sanitizing/bleach tablet in tank of toilet in case stinky organisms were growing in there, pouring vegetable oil down drains after running hot water to help ensure the p-trap stayed full.

Here's what I really don't understand: when I removed the toilet to replace the wax seal, the smell COMPLETELY went away. As soon as I replaced the toilet, the smell came back gradually. When I did the bleach/hot water routine and topped drains off with oil, the smell went away at first but now it's back stronger than ever PLUS it smells like bleach (even though I ran hot water!). This super strong poop-chemical smell has been amplifying over the past day. I'm at the point now where I've sealed off the door to the bathroom and have the window in the bedroom open with a fan running. It's really noticeable when you first step into the bedroom, and honestly burns a little bit to breathe.

I know that the obvious answer is to get a professional out ASAP, but what I'm looking for is really just any ideas as to what could be causing this odor? Has anything like this happened to you before?

Comments (7)