SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

What Did Santa Bring You?

moonwolf_gw
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Though my Dutch Oven was an early Christmas present, Santa also brought me a new camera and a cookbook that you fill with your own recipes :-).

Did Santa bring you all anything new or exciting for your kitchen?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (76)

• mustangs81
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like hearing what you all received. I GAVE a number of cooking and kitchen related gifts including the same mixer Jane received which I gave to my DD.

I guess my gift was in the same vain as Annie's computer. I had mentioned several times that I wanted a Thermapen or an induction single burner (until I can replace my cook top). After Christmas I said that I didn't get anything from DH, which isn't unusual but I wanted to dig at him. Raymond said "you got the fireplace remodeled and the house painted". Gee, I didn't know that home improvements were just for me and would be counted as Christmas gifts. I guess that's why we call him the house guest because he couldn't care less about improvements to "my" house.

• Islay_Corbel
    11 years ago

My son gave me a book about serving restarant dishes at home called Formulas for flavour by John Campbell and my sister gave me a glorious book called the vintage tea party by Angel Adoree. Even has printable invitations and apron patterns along with some seriously good-looking recipes. Very spoiled, me!

• Related Discussions

Ok what did Santa bring

Q

Comments (7)
    Here the gardening gifts weren't exactly forthcoming! The closest thing was new batteries and chargers for the camera and a camera for a kid who keeps stealing one of mine! But I did get a new PDA to keep track of stuff on! Oh and he got a flash drive for his laptop (which I use on vacations to put my pics of flowers I want!) Oh let's see, there were the manicure tools to fix the nails I wreck in the garden and the king size heating pad that both of us could use at once after a long day in the yard. OK if you think about everything in the right way, they're all garden gifts!LOL
    ...See More

What did Santa bring you?

Q

Comments (27)
    I am not into selling heirlooms. Basically they seem to want a good red tomato. So I am trying a few of the others. I am setting 80 days as top limit for a tomatoes. I sell vine ripened tomatoes . That many days does eliminated a bunch. Yellow pears sells and some cherry My colored one were a disaster really because of the horrible weather. So was main crop. First year just red and then red cherry and year pear. This year , my second try I added a few more to test. Money I take it to tight for people to try things. I saw a big difference this year from last. More trying to grow a few tomatoes in their back yards. I will test out these colored tomatoes again. Prices here at market are low. All of us were below store prices. I am limited in starting space and sun/warm space to grow them. I am trying to improve that part. Ever see a cat go down the row under the black plastic??? They think ditches are to play in when they are younger. My cats `are working cats. If I would have row covers the cats would insist on getting inside them. I wonder if the raccoons would too???? I doubt it. I do not know what Earl of Edgecombe is so , have not tried. I am waiting on more seed catalogs and to decided finally what tomatoes and tomatoes to public seems here to be round smooth ones.
    ...See More

What Quilting Goodies did Santa Bring??!!

Q

Comments (18)
    Dh and I decided to spare each other the 'going out to shop for something you may not want or need' experience this year. We've just decided to wait until the mad rush settles down in the stores and go out and buy ourselves a goodie. I need a new purse, and I'm sure to want something quilt-related from the fabric store when they start marking down for clearance. I already bought a new, more powerful sewing machine a month ago......so I'm not feeling particularly 'needy' in that respect. My Dear G'son pulled my name in the family gift exchange, and got me a gift certificate to the local kitchen store. I have to admit I am as addicted to cooking as I am sewing, and I'm sure I'll have fun shopping there.
    ...See More

Christmas 2015: What did Santa bring you?

Q

Comments (11)
    The pipe is more narrow at the bottom and gets wider as it moves up. This keeps the plugs together when first going through the narrow part. When the next plug is made, the one before it is pushed up into the wider part of the pipe. This prevents the plugs from getting stuck inside the pipe, and is what allows the plugs to simply slide out of the plugger.
    ...See More
  • colleenoz
    11 years ago

I got a cute Christmas themed apron, a diary for next year related to a cooking magazine here and a cute card from DH, with a Victorian style painting of the Bible story of the loaves and fishes, with Jesus saying to the lad holding a large basket of bread and fish to Him, "No, Mine was the herb-encrusted cod with rocket and Parmesan salad." :-D

• User
    11 years ago

I didn't really need anything for the kitchen. So Santa brought me an eReader - the Kobo Glo.

~Ann

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

A 10" Bob Kramer carbon steel knife. So far, all I've done is sit and stare at it. It's very pretty.

• User
    11 years ago

Oh my, even the handle is beautiful.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

A Bob Kramer 10" knife will push you over the fiscal cliff!

The other problem with a knife like that is you will need to get a few high quality sharpening stones,and that may require you to get a second mortgage!

Best send me the knife. :-)

For me I got a 4000 grit and an 8000 grit sharpening stone under the tree.

dcarch

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Congrats on the stones. What kind are they? I have stones, although not specific Kramer ones, but I'm afraid to take the knife to them. I use them on my ugly patinated, 40 year-old Sabatiers, which get extremely sharp, but do not hold an edge well. One of my kids looked at the new knife and suggested I just frame it and hang it the wall. LOL.

• compumom
    11 years ago

LOL Cathy, in all his "ignorance" you still love him! LOL My DH bought himself a car! ;D Actually it's better this way, then we pick out our own goodies and tell them what they bought us!

My special kitchen related gifts were from my DGS's who shopped at BB&B with DSIL to buy us things from their own money!
    At 5 & 8 they bought us a very nice shaped plastic cutting board, a plastic steamer basket that is pretty cool and a few non kitchen-y things. The littler guy has been inspecting to see if I'm using the items yet! You bet I am!
    DD bought me sometype of all in one gadget that she saw demonstrated in a store. She bought herself one and one for me. Frankly it looks like a mandoline with a bunch of cutting edges for ruffles etc. I'll try it out soon and report back.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Yes Ellen, I do love the HG and wouldn't trade him for anyone. My grandbabies picked out and paid for Grammy's gifts too! Certainly those two gifts are my favorite.

Speaking of steamers, I got rid of what I had because I really like the new ones (several sizes) that I found at HomeGoods. I bought one for DD for Christmas as she steams lots of vegetables.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steamer

• jvanderh
    11 years ago

Dcarch, what do you recommend for sharpeners? I bought a Lansky five stone set with a doohickey that is supposed to keep the knife at the correct angle, and it scratched the heck out of my knife but didn't seem to leave it any sharper.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

jvanderh, sharpening knives can be a complicated subject, and avery important one for all who spend time in the kitchen.

I am going to start a new thread on this topic.

dcarch

• moosemac
    11 years ago

Santa was good to me. I got a pastry blender (yippee no more cutting in butter with 2 knives), a Polner meat thermometer, a cutting board, a wine rack, and potato ricer. DD and DH did a good job paying attention all year. Lol

• jvanderh
    11 years ago

thanks!

• mike1975
    11 years ago

Santa was good to me also. I got a Cuisinart 11 cup food processor to replace my 24 year old 3 cup model that has seen better days. I also got an In Sink Erator Evolution garbage disposal. Can't wait to use both

• diinohio
    11 years ago

I'm running out of cabinet space, but I am happy to have gotten these!

Di

• shirl36
    11 years ago

Santa brought a new beautiful set of cookware to replace my old fifty plus years of pots and pans.

They don't make the food taste any better but.....they do make the stove look coordinated and beautiful.....shirl

• User
    11 years ago

Di, I love the Le Creuset baking dishes.

Shirl, Beautiful. What a great gift.

~Ann

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Santa brought me a thermoworks mega instant temp probe complete with silicone cover and wipes (DH never does anything 1/2 way).
    He also go me a Le Creuset zen tea kettle- but not sure I like it even though I hinted that I wanted it- it drips when I pour the water:-(
    I bought my niece her first piece of Le Creuset - a pie bird! She was geeked! She is an excellent pie baker. I got one for me also.

• Lars
    11 years ago

Nice photos - I love all of them - the chopping board, Cuisinart hand mixer (Now I want one because I only have the Kitchenaid hand mixer;-(), the knife handle is gorgeous, the baking dishes are sweet - not sure what sizes they are though, and the SS set is especially beautiful.

I got a new HP wireless color laser printer for my room because my new computer is not compatible with my own color laser printer, which is still in the art studio with Kevin. I still use the old, old computer in the sewing room to print with the old printer as well as my laptop, if I ever use that. Anyway, I needed the new printer to print out recipes, and so yes it is kitchen related!

Anyone getting a new computer with Windows 8, beware of the problems people are finding with it. I bought the one year in-store warranty and am glad I did. If you get Windows 8, make sure that you never set it to automatic Windows update because the automatic updates can conflict with antivirus software updates, and I can now no longer get Windows updates, and the computer is stuck at the factory position. Not sure if I will call or take it in to be fixed, but I'll probably call first.

I look forward to seeing your new photos, Brad. It should be even more fun with a new camera. Is it a difficult one to figure out? Mine has a 100+ page instruction booklet that I've never completely read. I wonder if other people read instruction booklets any more. We got a new cable box on Monday, and it did not even have an instruction booklet, although I thought it needed one. It took me forever to figure out how to remove channels from my favorites list. BTW, I write instructions myself also - for how to install chandeliers and wall sconces that I design and also for how to change the light bulbs, which can be tricky for some of the halogen applications. I always include plenty of illustrations as well.

Lars

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Santa brought me an enameled cast iron brassier, a trifle dish and a new 'old' cookbook. Oh, and some router bits--a rabbeting bit and a template cutting bit that I need to build the faux cabinet ends for my range hood cabinet.

• mainecoonkitty
    11 years ago

shirl36 - Can I ask what brand those beautiful shiny new pots and pans are? My Santa gave me a IOU for a new set of cookware, so I've started looking around. I've been married to Mr Santa for 33 years and the last full set of cookware I got was a wedding gift! I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to lay down some serious cash for All-Clad or if there is something that will fill the bill for less. Emeril's cookware is made by All-Clad and I've also heard that Cusinart's stainless steel is very good for the money. Your set is very nice and I love the glass lids. Recommendations from all are most welcome.

• bcskye
    11 years ago

You got some really great Christmas presents, Brad. I didn't get anything for the kitchen this year, but I have most everything I could want for it. I got a Sleep Number bed, an IPad and a trip to Florida, which wasn't the best trip in the world due to several things including the weather. The bed and the IPad were wonderful, if I could just figure out how to get my printer working with the new set-up. I did, however, give a niece in Florida a brand new crockpot which she was thrilled with. Poor kid (at 40) doesn't have much of anything but a hard life, so I plan on "gifting" her with a lot of good kitchen items this year. I also offered to help her do her own garden this year, from a distance, and to preserve the harvest. She's very excited about that.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Mainecoonkitty, instead of a set consider buying individual pieces. I find when I look at sets there are always pieces I wouldn't use. For instance, I prefer cast iron for frying pans and stewing, so a set with a frypan and stew pot would be money down the drain for me. A non-stick omelette pan is also handy, but I wouldn't want a whole set of non-stick pans. Before you go shopping, have a think about what pieces you would use and what each would ideally be made of.

• shirl36
    11 years ago

Maincoonkitty..

My cookware is 'Belgique' a Macy's exclusive.

I did my homework on the different brands. My first choice was All-Clad stainless, 2nd choice was Calphalon tri-ply, was so sure that the decision was made. While shopping decided I did not like the handles on the All-Clad, found nothing wrong with the Calphalon but found other brands that were very nice also. When I saw the Belgique there was no other for me. I have been very happy with my decision even tho I did not come home with the high quality high dollar All-Clad. The style of the Belgique was different and that is what I based my decision on, do believe I have quality also.

Just go shopping compare the different brands, their styles and quality. You will be okay. Good luck.

Shirl

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Shirl, although I love the pieces of All-Clad DH has bought for me, I also have several pieces of the Belgique since the 90's and it's good stuff. I've moved many miles from the store where I bought it and didn't realize they still carry it.

• shirl36
    11 years ago

I really did not finish my story on the Belgique cookware.

After getting it home and our daughter saw it she laughed and said "that is like mine!!" Hers was bought in 1997 at a Bergner store. In my research I learned sometime in the early 2000s Macys acquired the name Belgique as one of their exclusive items.

Hers still looks good, really good.

Shirl

• mainecoonkitty
    11 years ago

"Mainecoonkitty, instead of a set consider buying individual pieces. I find when I look at sets there are always pieces I wouldn't use. For instance, I prefer cast iron for frying pans and stewing, so a set with a frypan and stew pot would be money down the drain for me. A non-stick omelette pan is also handy, but I wouldn't want a whole set of non-stick pans. Before you go shopping, have a think about what pieces you would use and what each would ideally be made of."

Normally, I would completely agree with you - it's always best to think about the function and uses for each piece and that's pretty much what I've done over the years as I've aquired individual pieces as my cooking skills have advanced. I have a lot of specialty pieces of cookware - stockpots, large chicken friers, saute pans, etc. This time, I think I want a matched set of basics to replace my 30 yr old Revere Ware. It's still perfectly servicable, but this time I want "pretty" new stuff - so the dream kitchen I built in this new house will be pretty even when I'm cooking for a dinner party. Shallow as hell, but this time I want form AND function! :)

• mainecoonkitty
    11 years ago

"My cookware is 'Belgique' a Macy's exclusive."

Very nice stuff! I'm goning to go check it out. Thank you!

• riverrat1
    11 years ago

Merry Christmas! I sure am a lucky girl!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Wow, RR, you sure are, you must have been really really really good to get that nice Staub. Either that or maybe Santa likes naughty girls after all? (grin)

Annie

• diinohio
    11 years ago

My oh my! Good girl indeed! Lol

Di

• riverrat1
    11 years ago

Damn! No one said anything about my tree bark reindeer ;-)! Yes, Annie, I'm a really naughty girl that Santa really loves!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

I like your reindeer !!

Santa gave DH a Toastmaster 2D2 waffle iron. Beautiful.
    Now the lowly green elf gets to make the waffles this weekend...

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Karen, Actually the reindeer interested me more than the pots. I have too many pots but have been looking for reindeer to go with my new Santa. I waited until after Christmas thinking I'd pick some up on sale.

• Rusty
    11 years ago

Riverrat, I wasn't going to post on here,
    I didn't get any kitchen or food related gifts.

But reading your comment about your bark reindeer,
    They were the first thing I noticed in the picture!

Rusty

• triciae
    11 years ago

Riverrat, I'm starting to like Staub more than LC! The only Staub I have are two cast iron steak grill platters with wooden serving stands. I think there is more in my future, if Santa thinks I've behaved this year! (wink, wink)

I like your reindeer!

/tricia

This post was edited by triciae on Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 9:52

• riverrat1
    11 years ago

:-) I got these reindeer at a local antique shop. Cathy, I've been looking for years for reindeer about this size. Not an easy find but they are so cute.

tricia, I know you've been a good girl this year! So I see Staub pots in your near future!

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Love the reindeer! And the pots are such pretty colors!

• Solsthumper
    11 years ago

Apparently, you were all really good boys and girls. I've enjoyed looking at all the goodies under your tree.

River, I have a set of Le Creuset pots in the same colors as yours. Only mine are much older and not as shiny anymore.

Santa must've had me mixed up with somebody else because I got perfume for Christmas. What?
    In his defense, it was a favorite perfume. I also got a bunch of CDs...and some cookbooks I bought for myself...but we won't tell Santa about that, ok?

Sol

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I can't wait until dcarch post a thread on sharpening knives. I have an electric knife-sharpener but I lost the instruction booklet ... I will post pic. and ask folks here for help.

Santa didn't bring me what I want for my entire life: socks that are loose on my ankles. I have skinny chicken-legs and they are still tight even when I dropped down to 110 lbs. I can't cook well when the socks retrict my blood vessels. Tight socks reversed the blood flow so I screwed up on my cooking. LOL!

I don't have elephant feet either, I wear size 6 woman. So it must be a conspiracy between Hanes and Fruit of the Loom to make socks that shrink to infant sizes in the dryer, so people have to buy more. Yes, I stretch these socks on top of every cans, including oatmeal in my pantry. People would open my pantry and exclaim, "what's this, a socks party?"

My 10-years old, who's under 75 lbs., complained that even the men's socks are tight for her. So I chopped off the top "prison-ankles" off, or buy low-cut socks for her. My husband, who is a skinny-marathon-runner, gave me all his size 11 socks which shrank to size 4, and I still have to cut the tight-top off.

Straw (Strawberryhill in Chicagoland)

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Agree.

I think that I am going to put a pair of these in my cart, even though I do not have diabetes and I have very slender ankles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Socks?

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 11:03

• diinohio
    11 years ago

I almost forgot! One of my favorite gifts is this S hook from my friend Calvin.

He has taken up forging/metal work and made this for me. I ordered a set of four from him for our daughter Ashley's new kitchen island

I love hand made items.

Di

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

I only pull my socks up figuratively speaking :-)

• mainecoonkitty
    11 years ago

shirl36!

I want to thank you so much for posting about your Belgique cookware. I went cookware shopping last Saturday with Mr Santa and my Christmas IOU and fell in love with Belgique. We looked at All Clad, Emeril's, and several others, but I kept going back to the Belgique. I bought a complete set and added several other pans as well. I loved the little steam vent in the lids and no other brand had that feature. Loved the weight and the feel of it in my hands better than even the All Clad. Macy's had a great sale going on too, so I got a great deal on it as well. It's lovely looking, heavy, but not too heavy and very well made. LOVE IT! Thank you.

• shirl36
    11 years ago

Your welcome!.......My Santa and I looked all the brands over too and keep going back to Belgique. Santa seldom expresses an opinion but he too was impress by Belgique look.

I did not want to use them at first, I keep using the old but finally boxed them up. I love the way they cook.

Glad you liked....enjoy.....Shirl

• coconut_nj
    11 years ago

I've loved seeing the presents everyone got! That's bark eh Karen? Beautiful. Makes me want to try making some. Di, I loveee that hanger.

Well, my Santaette took me seriously back in, I think it was Sept.[?] when Aldi's had their sale on their enameled iron and Anchor Hocking. I got both the 2 deep dish pie plates and the 3 piece baking dish set. The baking dish is nice in that the largest is about 13 x 16. Nice to have a larger than 9 x 13 glass casserole. I also got the 5 quart enameled dutch oven in blue. I really racked up from her Aldi trip. LOL. One of my favorite other gifts is a nice stainless steel covered salt cellar and spoon. Good for keeping Kosher salt on the table.

• cookingrvc
    11 years ago

Received this 15 qt/15", SS Rondeau pot and love it! It has 5 1/2 inch sides, which work better for me than a regular stockpot since I'm not tall and burn my hands on the sides when adding or removing food. While my giant LeCruset Dutch oven is great, it can't come close to the Rondeau in terms of capacity.

I always wanted a way to make lots of stock without spending all day at it. I was able to brown 13 chicken thighs at once, they colored beautifully, and no skin stuck to the pot. In all, I used over 30 pieces of chicken and it was a breeze.

The stock reduced nicely and produced nearly 7 qts of stock. I'm in love.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Rondeau pot

• susie53_gw
    11 years ago

No kitchen things this year. But, had a wonderful Christmas. Son's family bought be an IPad, daughter's family got me a GPS and other daughter's family got us 2 really nice nightstands for our house down south. Great kids!!

• diinohio
    11 years ago

Great gifts everyone got this year. Susie53 I too got an IPad (mini). I love it, and am totally addicted to it! Santa brought it so we could FaceTime with our GS while he's away. He also mentioned that he was tired of looking at the back of my head (at my desk)!

Di