SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimka_gw

Recipe for Eatzi's cranberry orange walnut bread?

kimka
11 years ago

I've posted asking about this recipe over on the recipe exchange too, but the subject is kind of esoteric, so I thought I'd ask here too.

Years ago, before Eatzi's went out of business, they used to do a wonderful cranberry orange walnut bread. While it was sweet, I don't think it was a quick bread because it had a real bread crumb rather than a cake consistency. But it made a great brunch dish.

Does anybody have Eatzi's recipe for this delicious bread?

Comments (30)

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Eatzi's is still in business in Texas.......just maybe not in your area? Have you tried one of those copycat recipe sites?

One would think however, with all the bread bakers here that someone would have something like it.

Teresa

• User
    11 years ago

While I'm not familiar with Eatzi's, I did a search and apparently their Orange Cranberry cake is a pound cake.

I found this recipe for Cranberry Orange Walnut Bread on The Fresh Loaf, a great site. If you can judge a bread by its picture, than this one should be amazing.

Cranberry-Orange Walnut Bread
    Source: Floydm - The Fresh Loaf
    Makes 2 large loaves or 6 small loaves or 18 muffins
    4 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
    2 cups sugar
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 1/2 cup orange juice
    4 tablespoons butter or shortening
    2 tablespoons grated orange peel
    2 eggs, beaten
    3 cups (1 12 ounce package) fresh cranberries
    1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients then stir in the wet ingredients. Stir in the cranberries and walnuts and pour into greased bread pans.

Large loaves need 50-55 minutes to bake, small loaves 30-35 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean when they are done.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before trying to remove the loaves from the pans.

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Cranberry Orange Nut Cookies

Q

Comments (4)
    They're even beyond chewey - I'd describe them as cakey. Very soft & they really do taste like cranberry orange bread. We (I) finished all of ours (mine). I may have to make more.
    ...See More

LOOKING for: cranberry quick bread

Q

Comments (4)
    I have a cranberry quick bread that is very VERY labor intensive. Calls for cutting a cup up cranberries in half....and I've triedw ithout doint that and they explode and make pockets in the cake and I have tride coarsly chopping them and that doesn't work well either... AND it calls for a fair amount of grated orange peel. Delicious but a pain....not even going to post that one! But this also makes a single loaf, not as tidy looking as the other, but lots easier. cook a loaf about 40 minutes. Best Cranberry Muffins 1/4 cup butter (melted) 1 1/2 cups flour 2 t. baking powder 1/2 t. salt 1/2 cup sugar 1 large egg 1/2 cup milk 1 cup chopped cranberries 2 TB cinnamon-sugar Cool melted butter. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl. In another bowl, beat egg and milk, then add in cooled butter. Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir quickly to moisten. Add cranberries. Fill muffin cups half full and sprinkle tops of batter with the cinnamon sugar. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
    ...See More

RECIPE: fresh cranberry bread

Q

Comments (1)
    Sounds great! I will try to make this sometime soon. My husband loves cranberry bread.
    ...See More

Lynn's Recipe for Cranberry-Orange Compote (Relish)

Q

Comments (4)
    That's about what I usually make except I add walnuts. Last year I made a relish from NPR. It truly sounded and looked disgusting which just made me curious. I couldn't believe how delicious it was and complimented the turkey very nicely: Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish 2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed 1 small onion 3/4 cup sour cream 1/2 cup sugar 2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar ("red is a bit milder than white") Grind the raw berries and onion together. ("I use an old-fashioned meat grinder," says Stamberg. "I'm sure there's a setting on the food processor that will give you a chunky grind — not a puree.") Add everything else and mix. Put in a plastic container and freeze. Early Thanksgiving morning, move it from freezer to refrigerator compartment to thaw. ("It should still have some little icy slivers left.") The relish will be thick, creamy, and shocking pink. ("OK, Pepto Bismol pink. It has a tangy taste that cuts through and perks up the turkey and gravy. Its also good on next-day turkey sandwiches, and with roast beef.") Makes 1 1/2 pints.
    ...See More
  • jadeite
    11 years ago

ann_t - the pictures look amazing! I already have my favorite cranberry muffin recipe, but I need to try this one. Thanks for posting.

Cheryl

• User
    11 years ago

Cheryl, It does look good doesn't it. I think I need to give this one a try too.

~Ann

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

Eatzi's kept DH and I well fed for the whole year we lived in Dallas , darn I don't believe I sampled that bread.

• denise8101214
    11 years ago

I found this:

"Orange Cranberry Bread from eatZi's bakery may be our favorite flavored bread. Highlighting the clever mix of fruit flavors are - surprise! - big chunks of ginger. Beautiful texture. One of the best breads in the area. $4.99."

I don't know if this is the same bread that you are looking for.

Also you could try emailing their pastry chef jmonroe@eatzis.com

Here is a link that might be useful: 2003 Article

• kimka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I emailed Eatzi's pastry chef Janet Monroe (from the post above)and got back "Eatzi's recipes are confidential."That seems rather rude considering they are now only about 2,000 miles away and not likely to ever be back in my neck of the woods. Oh yeah, now I remember: This is the same company that closed down the stores the day before Thanksgiving without giving employees or customers any notice (so no thanksgiving order pick ups) and no holiday for newly jobless employees.

So much for enjoying Eatz's ever again, since I'm not likely to be visiting Dallas anytime soon. Austin maybe but not Dallas.

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

When I first read this thread last week I did some searching on Eatzi's. Nothing I read indicated that their Cranberry Orange bread was anything like a pound cake - although I'm sure their bakery probably offers something like that. I did run across a photo of their sandwich bar and the breads listed/pictured included the cranberry bread. All those pictured looked like artisan type breads.

I did find two recipes that might be similar. One is from Lisa at "Sweet as Sugar Cookies" blog. It includes ginger - referenced in the Chronicle article mentioning Eatzi's bread that Denise linked above. The other is from "Simply So Good" BlogHer Food Network. The second one is variations using Jim Lahey's (Sullivan Street Bakery) no-knead bread recipe. There is a savory version with rosemary and Gruyere which sounds interesting. And there is another version with Cranberry, Orange and Almonds.

Kim - both recipes sound good. I bet if you add crystalized ginger to the no-knead recipe it will give a touch of sweetness you mentioned in your original post. Report back if you decide to bake them.

Sweet As Sugar Cookies
    http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/10/cranberry-orange-ginger-bread.html

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Simply So Good blog

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Thanks for the links Teresa.

I was looking for recipes for healthier breads, no butter or shortening, etc.

A few good ones there I am going to try out.

dcarch

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Teresa - thanks also from me. I've made no-knead bread many times, but never as a sweet bread. With no eggs or butter I wonder how it compares with other yeasted sweet breads like stollen or panettone?

Cheryl

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

I don't honestly know Cheryl. I have not made the breads I linked. I was just looking for recipes to help the new member Kim. However - I think the no-knead with added sweetness is still going to be a different bread than stollen or panettone.

I imagine you could add all sorts of things to no-knead bread. The person writing on the second link sounds like she is experimenting quite a bit. I did not read the FAQ section.

I know Ann t has made different versions of no knead bread - one with cheddar and garlic I believe. I wonder if she has experimented with dried fruits or other "sweet" type ingredients.

Teresa

• User
    11 years ago

Cheryl, I was in Victoria today, at a bakery and sampled a Cranberry and Pistachio baguette. The sweetness came from the Cranberries.

I'm thinking of making something similar this week. Orange might be a nice addition. The bread I tried today would be great served with brie.

I don't see why you couldn't use the no-knead recipe. Although I don't use that recipe myself. I much prefer a "kneaded" dough.

I'm not familiar with Eatzi. This review from March 2012 refers to a cranberry orange pound cake.

Maybe they make both a yeast bread and a pound cake?

"Just brought home dinner"
    5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I just brought home dinner from Eatzi's; we have never bought anything there that was not excellent. I grabbed 1/2 a loaf of their incredible cranberry-orange pound cake....."

• jadeite
    11 years ago

ann_t - I'm not crazy about breads that are neither-nor. I like my plain breads without fruit or extra sugar, and my sweet breads to be rich. Having just typed that, I realized that one of my favorite breads is Acme's walnut levain which I could eat by the pound. Fortunately I only visit the Bay area occasionally or I'd be twice my size.

I'm about to make panettone for Christmas but was intrigued by the idea of cranberries and orange flavoring. I think I'll stick to the basic recipe which is enriched with eggs, butter and sugar.

I'm on the fence when it comes to no-knead. I've made bread both ways and have no firm preference yet. I have a poolish in the fridge right now, to be used for ciabatta later. I'm not happy with the texture I've gotten in the past, so this is one of Peter Reinhart's recipes which I've never tried.

I have never come across Eatzi's. Perhaps the OP can give us a description of the cranberry orange bread she's trying to re-create? Is it a fairly plain yeast bread with the addition of fruit, or is it an enriched yeast bread?

Cheryl

• User
    11 years ago

Cheryl, I can understand that. I don't normally like to mix "savory" with "sweet". But the baguette I tried today with the cranberries and pistachios was amazingly good. I think because the cranberries added just a touch of sweetness in the bite. But the bread itself wasn't sweet.

Have you ever made Jane Grigson's Walnut Bread From Southern Burgundy? It is a walnut and onion bread.

~Ann

• kimka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The problem is that Eatzi's (which was a primarily prepared foods store with some produce and other ingredient foods) closed in my town about 6 years ago before I started doing any bread baking. So my memories are of a sweet bread that made the most incredible french toast you have ever tasted. But I didn't have the same awareness of texture etc. that I do now. It was definitely a bread not a pound cake or cake texture.

I'm going to try both recipes that Teresa found in the next couple of weeks and see which one tastes closest and work from there.

I'll report back what happens.

KimKa

• jadeite
    11 years ago

ann_t - no, I've never made a walnut onion bread. If it's not a lot of trouble, could you post the recipe? If you do, it should be a new thread so as not to distract from this one.

kim - from your description, I would guess it's an enriched bread. "incredible french toast" to me is made with brioche or challah, which are both enriched with butter and eggs.

Cheryl

• User
    11 years ago

Kim, Peter Reinhart (Bread Baker's Apprentice) has a recipe for Cranberry Walnut Celebration Braid. The recipe could easily be adapted by adding orange zest, ginger, etc. to try and replicate the bread from Eatzi's. And baked in a loaf pan instead of braided.

FOR Cheryl:

Jane Grigson's Walnut Bread From Southern Burgundy

James Beard - Beard on Bread

This recipe comes from a delightful cookbook called Good Things by an English writer, Jane Grigson's, who has a fine palate and the ability to evoke vivid pictures of food. It makes one of the most attractively flavoured and textured breads I have eaten in a long time. If you can't find walnut oil, you can use a fruity olive oil. Baked in intriguing small, round loaves, it is light and has a pleasant crust, delicious "nose, " and a delicate onion flavour. It's good with broiled or roasted meats, or with some cheeses, notably goat.

5 cups all purpose flour (preferably unbleached)
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 packages active dry yeast
    2 cups warm milk
    1/2 cup walnut oil or 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted but cool
    1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
    3/4 cup onion, finely chopped

Sift flour, salt, and sugar into a warm bowl. Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of warm milk, and pour it into the middle of the flour, together with the walnut oil (or butter) and the rest of the milk. Knead well until the dough is firm and blended into a smooth, springy ball (about 10 minutes). Leave in a warm place to rise for 2 hours (or in a cool place overnight) Punch down the dough, mix in the walnuts and onion, shape into four rounds, and leave on a greased baking tray to rise for 45 minutes. Bake at 400�F for 45 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped underneath

Here is a link that might be useful: Walnut Bread

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Cheryl, you ask about the no knead breads?
    Tried the Cinnamon Swirl Brioche no knead bread a few weeks back, loved it. So easy. I was very leary about the no knead bread with eggs, but this one the flavor is wonderful.
    I do glaze it with a powdered sugar glaze.

Saw the Cranberry, Walnut, Orange loaf at Fresh Loaf and was tempted, but that was as far as I got. Looking forward to see if anyone tries it out. Let us know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cinnamon Brioche Swirl Bread recipe-no knead

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Kim - the recipe Ann linked sounded good also. Then I realized it is almost identical to the first recipe I linked for an enriched bread from Lisa at "Sweet as Sugar Cookies." Reinhart's recipe is a bigger loaf using double the flour and eggs - but pretty much the same thing.

And at the bottom of Lisa's recipe she notes she halved the recipe and subbed orange juice & zest for the extract. Reinhart used extract. Reading through the recipes and instructions they appear to be the same bread.

Good luck! I can't wait to hear how they turn out.

• User
    11 years ago

Here is another recipe that sounds good. I like that this one starts with a Biga.
    The recipe was found on another blog - Italian Food Forever Adapted from a King Arthur flour recipe.

Cranberry Walnut Bread

Yield: Makes 2 Loaves

Prep Time: 3 hrs

Cook Time: 30 - 35 mins

A pretty holiday inspired bread that both freezes and toasts really well.
    Ingredients:

Biga:
    1/2 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
    1 Cup Lukewarm water
    2 Cups Unbleached, All-purpose Flour
    Bread:
    3 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
    1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
    2 Cups Water (Approximate)
    1 Teaspoon Instant Yeast
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1/2 Cup Sugar
    1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
    Zest From 1 Orange
    1 1/2 Cups Dried Cranberries
    1 1/2 Cups Chopped Walnuts
    Directions:

For the biga, Mix the yeast and water together, and then slowly start adding the flour, mixing well.
    Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for up to 6 hours and refrigerate overnight.
    The next day, take 1 cup of the biga (refrigerate rest for another project) and mix together with the flours, salt, cinnamon, orange zest, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl.
    Begin to add water, stirring as you go and add as much water as is needed to bring everything together into a fairly firm dough.
    Stir in the walnuts and cranberries, then dump the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 5 minutes until smooth.
    Lightly oil a large bowl and then place the dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
    Let the dough rise in a warm place in your kitchen until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
    Punch down the dough and divide it into two equal pieces.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    Share each ball of dough into an oval loaf and place each on a cornmeal dusted baking sheet.
    Cover the loaves with a kitchen towel and let rest 30 minutes.
    Cut three slashes into each loaf with a sharp knife and then bake until the internal temperature of the bread reaches 190 degrees F., about 35 minutes.
    Cool to room temperature before slicing.

Adapted from a recipe by King Arthur Flour

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

This last recipe from Ann sounds really good to me. I've put it on my to make list. It will take me all the rest of winter to make all the great breads I've run across this year.

Nancy

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Thank you all for great recipes. Ann, I have Beard on Bread but haven't noticed this walnut onion bread recipe. I may try incorporating the nuts and onion into a levain-type bread.

Trudy, the link seems to be broken. I haven't come across no-knead enriched breads but I'm eager to try. Like Nancy, I'm compiling a list of breads to make over the winter. I will emerge next spring a much fatter but happier person.

Cheryl

• User
    11 years ago

You are welcome Cheryl,

~Ann

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Cheryl, the link appears to work.

Here is the recipe. Trust me it is an awesome tasting bread and oh so easy. Have made this for meals for folks who are in need of a meal from our church. They think I have slaved over this bread...NOT! Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think.

Barbara Bakes, also has some other great recipes that I havent tired but hope too!

Cinnamon Swirl Brioche
    adapted from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and Cook's Illustrated

Brioche dough (makes about 3 large loaves)

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
    1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (2 packets)
    1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
    8 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup honey
    1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
    7 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I only used 6 1/2 cups)

Mix the water, yeast, salt, eggs, honey and melted butter in a 5-quart bowl, or lidded (not airtight) food container.

Mix in the flour, using a spoon until all of the flour is incorporated.

Cover (not airtight), and allow to sit at room temperature for about two hours until the dough rises and collapses.

Refrigerate in a lidded (not airtight) container overnight and use over the next 5 days.

Filling

1 cup confectioners sugar
    3 tablespoons cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Assembling the Cinnamon Swirl Brioche

Grease three 9 x 4 inch loaf pans.* Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and divide dough in three equal pieces. On a well floured board, pat each piece into a 7 by 18 inch rectangle. (If necessary, use a bench scraper to loosen dough and add more flour underneath the dough so it doesn't stick.)

Use a spray bottle, lightly spray the top of the dough with water. Sprinkle a third of the filling mixture over the dough leaving a 1/4 inch border on the sides and a 3/4 inch border on top and bottom. Spray filling lightly with water so the filling is speckled with water.

Starting on the short side, roll the dough up into a cylinder and seal seam. Let it rest for 10 minutes.

Use your bench scraper to cut the loaf in half lengthwise; turn halves so cut sides are facing up. Gently stretch each half into a 14 inch length. Pinch the two ends of the dough together and braid dough by laying the left piece over the right keeping the cut side up, until pieces of dough are tightly twisted. Pinch ends together.

Transfer loaf, cut side up, to prepared loaf pan. Repeat with remaining dough.

Cover pans loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in size. Top of the loaves should rise about 1 inch over the lip of the pan. (Mine took 3 hours, but the Cook's recipe says 1 1/2 hours.)

Preheat oven to 350*. Bake approximately 25 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Reduce oven temperature to 325*, ten loaves with foil and continue baking until internal temperature registers 200*, 15 to 25 minutes longer. (I just got a new wireless thermometer thanks Tiff! and it took my bread exactly 15 minutes longer.)

Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Remove loaves from pans and cool completely on a wire rack before slicing, about 2 hours.

*You can bake all three loaves at once, leave the dough in the fridge for up to five days, or freeze the dough.

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Cheryl, I pulled out my Beard on Bread and the walnut/onion recipe isn't listed in the index, but he calls it "walnut bread from Southern Burgundy, Jane Grigson's, page 55."

The difference could simply be from different printings.

I got this book when the then cleaning lady opened up her trunk to show me what one of her clients gave her--a box of books. I asked if I could have one and I pulled out that one. Love it! That's the best thing that woman ever did for me! She has been replaced with a gem.

This post was edited by beachlily on Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 18:44

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Trudy - thank you for posting the recipe. The ingredients (1.5 cups butter, 8 eggs) made me pause. This is rich! I'm sure it makes wonderful brioche which I didn't know you could do with no-knead dough. I'll have to try it.

beachlily and ann_t - I have the "walnut bread from Southern Burgundy, Jane Grigson's, page 55" in Beard on Bread also. I just never noticed it. Now that I've looked at the book again, there are lots of interesting breads.

Cheryl

• westsider40
    11 years ago

I made the Orange Cranberry Walnut Loaf and it sure baby was scrumptious. The recipe from the Fresh loaf, a double batch. Yes, yes, good. The only thing was the butter was in a dice and when I stirred it into the dough, it just sat there. But, after the bake, it melted and I forgot about the clumps. Enjoyed it at Christmas Eve Dinner with dh, ds, ddil and dgs. Tart and sweet,lovely.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

I know about the quest for a bread recipe of something you have tasted. A couple of years ago I had a chicken salad sandwich on cranberry walnut bread at a bakery in Black Mt. NC and ended up buying a loaf of the bread, it was so good! So I get home and begin the quest for a recipe. It was definitely a yeast bread, not really rich with butter, not really sweet either, except that the cranberries added a bit of sweetness. And I'm sure it would have made great French toast.

I'll look for the recipe I found that seemed close and post it later. For the orange, you could simply add some grated zest and maybe soak the cranberries in orange juice?

Teresa

• kimka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was off line a few days with the holidays. I haven't had time to bake any of the cranberry orange breads yet. I made two ice creams--apple jack apple pie ice cream and bailey chocolate chip--plus a gravlax for my part of the Christmas brunch and dinner. With eight of us gathering at the best cook's house this year--we each only had minor assignments.

This week I plan on at least one loaf of orange cranberry walnut bread.

Terry, I hope you come up with your recipe too.

I'll report back as I try the various recipes too.