vacuum sealing (food safety) question
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (18)
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Dehydrate & vacuum seal ?
Comments (5)1. What should the temp. be in the dehydrator? I have an 80 liter Cabela's Commercial Dehydrator, except for when I dry herbs I start the drying time at 140 for the first hour to quickly remove as much moisture as possible from the surface without cooking it. Then I turn it down to between 120-130 depending on how long I "think" it might take to dry. I usually start dehydrating in the evening and try to have it finished when I get home from work the next day, this isn't fool proof. I can't help you on #2 because I have a food saver too. 3. How long do things "last" once sealed in jars? I just opened strawberries from 2007 and they were still dehydrated but they weren't as sweet as those from 08. I mostly store herbs in jars and if you leave the herbs whole they'll hold their flavors supposedly a year, after that they may not be as strong and you might want to increase the amount used in recipes. Usually as I start the new year I'll compost what's left or as with herbs such as lemon verbena and lavender I will slightly crush the leaves and put them in containers for potpourri. How long they last really depends on how they are stored. General rule is cool and dark. 4. Should jars be refrigerated, frozen, or at room temp? I freeze only cherries and apricots for safety sake. I don't dry them 100%. I'll vac them in bags though before freezing. In fact I still have some from 07 and they look great. Everything else is stored in the basement (cool dark place) stored in vac bags, mostly because I don't have enough jars and reuse the bags. Hope this helps....See MoreVacuum Food Sealers.
Comments (15)One 3rd yard sale food saver. ALL worked just fine! First one... sealing gasket was a bit shot. Washing/drying well and turning over gave it a little longer life. Second on is a real bare bones model and I have NO complaints about it. BUT last weekend hit the mother lode at 2 years sales. At LEAST $60 worth of bags, including a package of maybe 30-40 8" bags and a box of 4 rolls, both UNOPENED! AND a food saver that is a serious upgrade from what I had... tho seems to be discontinued. Spent a whopping $10 for everything. FS has an attachment that vac seals lids onto wide mouth mason jars. NOT for canning, but great for things like rice, beans & small pasta. Have found a messa their cannisters, but more often than not, they lose their seal?? I'm cooking for one & always lookiing for bargains in the meat/chicken area. A regular sized package of ground beef or boneless chicken breasts is just TOO much for me to cook for just me. I repackage, vac seal and freeze. A portion for 1-2 servings only takes about 20-30 minutes in room temp water to go from rock hard to ready to cook. A few times a year, my freezer get to avalanche stage & needs a reorganization. I NEVER find freezer burned stuff buried at the bottom any more....See MoreFoodSaver and other vacuum sealers
Comments (16)Helpful posts. I didn't have a backup when DH brought in some venison. I have an older model that was updated from my first one I got eons ago. I liked the second one because it has an override button (very important in my opinion) so when you have a bag that isn't sealing perfectly or you have delicate items you want sealed but not crushed you can override and still seal. I went and bought the new vertical model (don't remember the #) at Wally World (one of the few stores here unfortunately) I didn't think to try it out ahead of time and when DH got a 200# plus bear .... you guessed it. The new unit didn't work. I got it all unpacked, meat in the bag and NOTHING. Sales pitch was "Just insert the bag and the machine does the rest perfectly!" Problem was the part that pulls the bag in to start the operation didn't work. So out came the limping old one to put the meat up. I wouldn't be without one but I'm a little gun shy now about the newest models. Did you say you have a vertical one Mustang? Maybe I should try one again. It was $150 at Wally World too. Other than the override I prefer less bells and whistles. Less things to go wrong. But I wouldn't be without one. I just wish I could find my jar attachments that disappeared when I moved. I may have to buy another set of those too....See Morepreping food directly on sealed granite
Comments (5)The FDA must approve material that will be in contact with food-- sealer, calk, etc. They don't approve the stone itself, since natural variation from one slab to the next [and even different areas within the slab] make it economically impractical. Yeah, there have been some scandals about meds that are less safe than expected, but I haven't heard anything similar on sealers. With medicine, most testing is done by the drug companies. With sealers, I beleive it's more along the lines of using different formulations of ingredients 'generally accepted as safe' if I remember the phrasing. Since most sealers have you wipe off the excess, very little remains on the surface-- most of it is in the pores. And once dry, it doesn't re-liquify [wouldn't be much of a sealer if it did], and so can't absorb into your bread dough. I personally wouldn't worry *at all* unless someone in the house has know, proven alergies to such chemicals....See More- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

HEALTHY HOMEGet the Lead Out: Lead Safety at Home
Keep your family safe by properly testing for and dealing with lead in old painted surfaces, water and soil
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESSurvive Your Home Remodel: 11 Must-Ask Questions
Plan ahead to keep minor hassles from turning into major headaches during an extensive renovation
Full Story
DOORS5 Questions to Ask Before Installing a Barn Door
Find out whether that barn door you love is the right solution for your space
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDHello, Honey: Beekeeping Anywhere for Fun, Food and Good Deeds
We need pollinators, and they increasingly need us too. Here, why and how to be a bee friend
Full Story
MOST POPULARWhat to Do After a Hurricane or Flood
How you treat your home after a natural disaster can make all the difference in its future livability — and your own personal safety
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
FLOORSIs Radiant Heating or Cooling Right for You?
Questions to ask before you go for one of these temperature systems in your floors or walls (yes, walls)
Full Story
FEATURESHow Tupperware’s Inventor Left a Legacy That’s Anything but Airtight
Earl S. Tupper — and his trailblazing marketing guru, Brownie Wise — forever changed food storage. His story is stranger than fiction
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ10 Truly Irritating Things Your Partner Does in the Kitchen
Dirty dishes, food scraps in the sink — will the madness ever stop?
Full Story
LIFEHow to Prepare for and Live With a Power Outage
When electricity loss puts food, water and heat in jeopardy, don't be in the dark about how to stay as safe and comfortable as possible
Full Story
grainlady_ks