SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Food Safety

15 years ago

It's a cold gray day, and I'm making Bierocks (or Runzas as they're sometimes known). During the preparation, I realized I've always wondered about the safety of something I typically do, and am curious as to what others think.

I start by cooking the onions, then adding the beef to brown; stirring together the cabbage, salt and pepper (lots of pepper!) and letting the mixture steam for about fifteen minutes. Then, (and this is where I wonder if I'm putting anyone at risk) I pull the large pan off the burner, and let cool until my bread dough is done rising. This could take a couple of hours (maybe three) until the dough is ready to form the sandwiches. Once they are all made, they go into a preheated oven and baked until golden brown.

Here's what I always assumed...Even though I let the meat mixture cool for several hours on the stove, since I always end up baking everything again inside a bread dough, am I risking food poisoning? It's a big pot of stuff, and needs to be cool before it's wrapped up in the dough, which can take a while.

What would you do?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor