SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Feedback Needed for Hallway Makeover - gallary wall, paint, rug

Valerie Noronha
11 years ago

First off, here is the my hallway. It's a L-shaped hallway, you see the short part of the L from the foyer (first pic) which is painted in BM Wilmington Tan.

{{gwi:1642296}}

Rest of hallway:

{{gwi:1642297}}

There are two challenges I'll be working with: the air return vent on lower right wall. This awkward corner that always gets bumped and the paint chips off. My kids are getting older and will have 2 away at college by fall and just one 11-year-old at DD at home so hopefully this'll not get beat up so much as in past.

{{gwi:1642298}}

It all started as most things do with a great sale on frames at Michaels.... I've always wanted to do a real gallary wall in my hallway so I bought a bunch of frames in various sizes, came up with a layout that I like, combed through all my photos, new and old to determine what I want to place where. It'd be a mix of old, B&W/sepia and newer color photos randomly spaced throughout. I'm still working on adding all the photos since some need resizing, but here is what I have so far. The photos are placed a bit closer than it will most likely be on the wall because I've laid it on top of a spare bed.

{{gwi:1642299}}

I'd also like to do another gallery wall (smaller) with some of my 11-year-old DD's artwork. She is getting to be very good, so I suspect it may grow, but the pieces will vary. Here are two that are framed and ready to go and I'll have a third (pencil quilt drawing, subject dogs) very soon. Not sure if I can work it in here in addition to the photo wall or if needs to go elsewhere (not sure where else though).

{{gwi:1642300}}

Here is an inspiration rug which I like, though have yet to find one in the size I need (16' x 2'6"). Ideally I'd like a vintage handknotted rug and OK leaving the floor bare until I find the one I want.

{{gwi:1642301}}

I want to paint the walls first and determine the best place to hang the gallery wall since I need to get the pictures off the bed soon, the rug can wait since I have pretty good idea what I'm looking for, but wanted to show you so you have an idea of my vision for this space.

I go back and forth which wall to use, wall under skylight or opposite skylight.

Under skylight:

{{gwi:1642302}}

Opposite skylight:

{{gwi:1642303}}

I'm leaning towards under the skylight and hang DD's artwork on the far side of the opposite wall after the photo gallery wall ends and opposite the door to the bathroom and let it grow to the left as she does more pieces that I want to hang. I put majority of her art in a keepsake portfolio, but I would like to display some of her better pieces, for now just three.

I also plan to repaint the hallway and am thinking about adding some mouldings. I do have more of the existing wall paint plus almost a whole gallon of the Wilmington Tan I used in the entryway. I do like how the two colors go together and the flow from entry to hallway. I'm considering these options, plus open to other suggestions.

1. add chair rail, paint below chair rail BM Wilmington Tan, above the rail existing color.

2. do chair rail and beadboard wall paper below painted trim color below

3.chair rail and some other type of wainscotting below.

Suggestions welcome!

Comments (9)