SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Oops we clipped too far

munkos
16 years ago

So a few days ago we had a nail clipping day. We did both dogs and both cats.

My cats will never enjoy or tolerate having their nails clipped. It's a two person job if you don't want to have your face scratched off. We've been clipping them since they first came home as kittens but they still hate it. I have to restrain 3 legs at a time while the boyfriend does one paw.

Anyways, that's really irrelevant to my question, haha.

We knicked little girls bloodline the other day. She's a trooper, she didn't even flinch. She just kept wagging away, trying to lick my boyfriends face as he apologized and rubbed her over and over. I got a wet paper towel and cleaned up the blood and held her nail til she quit bleeding, but I don't know if thats what should be done, or if I should have put something on her nail to stave off an infection or something?? We've never clipped any of the animals too close before, so I really don't know if I should've done more??

Also, how in the world can you tell how close to clip on black nails?? Big guy has 8, two on each paw, and we never cut them very short because we can't see the bloodline ever. So by the time we clip nails again, his black ones are talons. Is there a way to tell where to clip?? Being that he's already terrified of the clippers (we assume he was knicked before the boyfriend rescued him) we're a little hesitant to clip any closer than we do, just incase. He'd never let us near him again if we knicked him at all.

I know everyone says mini dremels are the best tool, but I know our beagle wouldn't have it. She refuses to even be in the same room as I blow dry my hair or vaccuum, she shakes and paces at the sounds and hides in corners and behind the couch, so I know anything noisey would not go anywhere near her, and I wouldn't force it. Big guy wouldn't be too fond of it either. And well, the cats are just a given that it'd be a no go.

Comments (14)