SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aasonalk

Solving Hot water delays

aasonalk
17 years ago

We have an interesting problem in our brand new house.

We have an upgraded 75 gallon Hot Water heater installed in the unfinished basement roughly in the center (slightly offset to one side). It sources 3 full bathrooms on the uppermost level and one butlers pantry sink, one half bath, one kitchen sink, and one laundry utility sink (in increasing order of pipe length from the water heater) on the main level directly above the basement.

here is the intersting thing: Every sink in the house including the farthest ones (Master bath sinks in the uppermost level and the utility sink in the main level) clocks approx 15-18 seconds to get hot water. (the butlers pantry sink is almost directly above the water heater and clocks about 3 seconds). But the main level powder room and the hall bath directly above it clock 1 minute 20 seconds to even get slightly warm water in the sink...and these are certainly not the farthest sinks!

The builders field supervisor has come taken a look at it, his supervisor has looked at it, two sets of the builders plumbing contractors have looked at it, and they are all dumbstruck and have no explanation why this should happen. Clearly the laundry sink pipe length is atleast 1.5 times the pipe length to the powder room. The only noticeable thing is that the laundry sink is about 3 turns away whereas to get to the powder room sink (and the one above it) it takes roughly seventeen turns (albeit over very short distances) so as to go around the stair case, and run close along the a.c ducts.

Everyone who has looked at it says that the turns COULD possibly be the cause of the delay. One plumber first said that "kinks in a pipe can only cause pressure drops not heat loss", then corrected himself when he could find no other explanation for the occurence.

Let me try to keep this short.. :-)... the builder has offered to pay for the plumbing contractor to come back and redo some of the pipes (since basement is still unfinished) and reduce some of the turns. They think they can take out maybe 7 turns, but the pipe wont run close to the duct now and we will loose some ceiling height in those areas when we finish the basement. Not that big a deal, I guess.

At the same time, the plumber says that there are NO GUARANTEES that doing this will fix the problem!

I would hate for someone to come and break apart stuff in my brand new home (possibly break something else while doing this) and still not fix the problem. Oh by the way, all the pipes running from the Water heater to all over the house (the ones I can see from the basement) are all 3/4" pipes (according to all the plumbers who have looked at them). I looked through some articles on this forum and they say that wider pipes will cause longer delays than narrower ones. Then shouldn't this have been the first thing the plumber offered to change? I mean, replacing the 3/4" pipes going to the sinks with 1/2" pipes or so? (We can leave the tubs alone since the delay isnt felt there. )

My guests and visiting family all think that we dont get hot water at all in the powder room (defect in the house), since obviously, no one will wait around for 1 min. 20 seconds just for a few seconds of hot water! This makes me extremely upset with the new construction and I would like to see it easily fixed.

FYI, the builder had also suggested a circulating hot water option, but they advice that it will run down the life of the water heater and run up the bills. They also suggested instant hot water as another option, but they advice that the "box" that fits under the powder room sink will be visibly ugly. So they themselves recommended redoing the pipes! ..but no guarantees!

I am looking for some thoughts from you kind and knowledgeable people here. Will eliminating turns be the better way to go? Or will reducing the diameter be the better way? What are the drawbacks I will have to live with? ...Or is the delay something I need to live with and move on?

Please advice.

Cheers everyone, and sorry to drag you through such a long outpour.

-Cathy

Comments (14)