SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Mom keeps asking why the vet never....

sweetchastity
15 years ago

did this or that (long story, I like to make sure I cover everything).

I see my parents and love them and know they love their dogs but having worked in health care I know that you have to be on top and knowledgeable and ask questions of the professional you go to. Sometimes you need to take a hand in the responsibility of your own health and that also goes for the health of others, including your pets.

I watched my parents watch their 13 yr old purebred German Sheppard start to go downhill. He had trouble getting up, walking, lying down, his back end dropping down and some pooping in the house. They took him to the vet and the vet said he's old and that they lose some at 10 years, he's had a good run. He offered some pet food that would produce less poop but other than that had no other suggestions.

I came here because I didn't believe a dog's life can be a figure randomly thrown about. Yes most living creatures have an average lifespan but to mark his 10th birthday and consider each one after a blessing just feels wrong to me. I got some input and advice and passed it along to my mother and even had her register here and gave her the website but she's not that good with computers and doesn't seem to want to try to get better so I leave her to her bliss. Even sitting reading out the posts here my mom kept saying over and over again 'why wouldn't the vet suggest that?', 'don't you think he would have mentioned that?', etc.

Finally I got sick of listening to them talk about what a good dog he 'was' when he's lying at their feet. I was ready to call the vet myself and start asking questions but my father is a very difficult man. Luck hit when I dropped by not more than half an hour before an appointment for their female dog who had this large growth on her back that was leaking (it had been growing and my dad scared my mother by saying if they take her to the vet and its cancer then she'll die, as if not taking her to the vet could prevent it being cancerous). I came here, jotted down 2 syndromes (Lumbosacral stenosis/cauda equina syndrome and degenerative myelopathy) that justusbarkers said Sheppards can get that lead to his symptoms and some suggestions such as glucosamine and chondroitin supplements and told my mom I was going with her to the vet. (I'm sure her blood pressure spiked at that point).

I was not aggressive or demanding just polite and inquisitive. I said I had been reading and talking on a pet forum board and someone suggested one of these 2 syndromes might be the cause and a nerve reflex test could be done. I asked, politely, if he had done so or would do so (giving him the option to say I can on the next visit). He walked around a lot not talking much and I never got an answer. I decided not to push it and said that I've also heard that supplements like glucosamine or chondroitin may help and he said he could prescribe some glucosamine and I immediately said its cheaper at Walmart mom, try it out first. He came back with a pamphlet for her on glucosamine and some antibiotics for the female. He said nothing more.

My father is taking glucosamine so my mom gave Jessie some the next day and she saw an immediate improvement. He needed her to help him get up from a lying position but now he was getting up by himself. He would never have tried to go up or down the stairs (where before down wasn't a problem, its only 3 steps) and when I was out front he went and jumped down the stairs. He staggered and it looked like it hurt but he went down himself. I immediately made my mom give him some aspirin and she said 'but we give it to him twice a day, I'll give it to him later' but I said no that jump probably made him sore and an extra dose here and there if he looks like he's in pain is alright.

Throughout all this my mom keeps asking over and over again 'why didn't the vet suggest it sooner?'. Why didn't he suggest it at all? The only thing he offered was overpriced dog food to make him poop less on the carpet. I've gotten a recommendation for another vet and my parents even drove past it but I can't seem to get them to go. The leave things too late and personally what I've seen has led me not to trust their vet.

With the female my parents only wanted to know if the growth was cancerous. If it was cancerous they probably would have put her down so they wanted to know before paying to have it surgically removed. He said the only way to know if it was cancerous was to have the tissue tested at the labs. He could take a syringe and try to get a sample but sometimes the results come back that not enough tissue was found to test so they'd have to do it again. Or they could surgically remove it and then send it to the lab and the lab would definitely have enough tissue then to get a result. I could tell he was leaning towards the surgery and I said take a sample and get it tested. This thing was the size of a baseball on her back, not deep inside her body, I was confident that he should be able to get a sample from that ugly thing (man it was ugly). The results came back, they got enough tissue I noticed, and it wasn't cancerous, but now the thing was leaking, even more disgusting and mom said part of it fell off (? or Misty chewed it off). Either way they had it removed and I can see small lumps that might end up growing but that is for another time.

I pointed out his reluctance to talk to me about the 2 syndromes, how he immediately wanted to prescribe glucosamine when he had a pamphlet on it he could have given her long before I went and suggested it and how he leaned towards the more expensive solution for the growth. My parents have been going to him for years but I tell her its time for a change. And still she asks 'why?'. Why didn't he suggest it earlier? If it would help don't you think he would have suggested it? I have no answers. All I see is that this vet may not provide the best care for my parents pets and I think its time to see another vet, if only for a second opinion.

Comments (6)