SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

Cleaning stainless steel -- a nasty tail of woe. (Pun intended.)

MizLizzie
11 years ago

This vile story doesn't quite belong on KF or on AF but I am trying here out of desperation. Prior to starting the kitchen reno, we built a new grill patio and installed a one of Weber's finest stainless steel grills w/side burner to help us thru the downtime. The grill is supposed to be ALL stainless.

For whatever reason, its front doors have become the target of a territorial and psycho neighbor cat, Shelby the She-Devil. (The cheap Home Depot grill never held any attraction.) Now I love cats. I have tried to love Shelby, but she's psycho. To torment our cats, she waits until they are watching through our screen door, then butt-backs onto the Weber and hoses it with all she's got. I can't get it clean. Now there is a little rust setting in where her pee runs down and catches on the door frame.

So how intently -- and with what -- can I scrub this sucker? Windex and 409 with hot water and scrubbie-sponges are not making a dent. Not Brillo, I'm thinking. And can stainless rust??? Somehow, I thought not. Could the rust be -- horrors -- calcified cat pee or something? Should I take a paint scraper or a screwdriver to it?

Any suggestions appreciated, and apologies in advance for the grossness of this story. (And yes, I've tried cat repellant spray. We are now going to the motion-detector spray with air horn attachment.)

Comments (22)