SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

12-year-old cat . . . weight loss . . . diarrhea . . .

alisande
15 years ago

Princeton, my black longhair, has a vet appointment tomorrow but I'd like to know what you think of his symptoms. He's eating very little and has lost a noticeable amount of weight. He appears to be hungry and interested in his food, running to it and meowing as if he were eager to eat. But then he just licks off the liquid parts and eats only a small amount of the solids. I've tried different kinds of canned food with the same result. (He used to enjoy dry food, but now ignores it completely.) I thought he might have a problem in his mouth, but the other day he surprised me by gobbling up some crunchy cat treats.

He produces only a small amount of solid stool, and that is very soft. The rest is liquid. He has begun pooping on the rug and on my bed, although he still uses the litter box to pee. I don't know what to make of this. I've seen him "in position" on my bed and have shooed him off, only to have him poop on the rug instead. He's never done anything like this before.

Other than these symptoms, which seem rather serious to me, he doesn't appear to be sick. He sleeps with me, and still wakes me up several times during the night to be petted (two or three strokes will do it), purring when I comply. He runs up and down the stairs as usual.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Susan

Comments (73)