SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Weight Loss in Cat. Any thoughts on what this could be?

Rudebekia
15 years ago

My 13 year old cat had radiation therapy for hyperthyroidism one and a half years ago. He's been back to the vet twice since then (the last time in September for some dental work) and both times his blood analysis came back just find--the thyroid condition was completely cured. Now, over the last month, he seems to have lost a lot of weight. I have made a vet appointment for right after Christmas, but I really wonder what this might be. He doesn't seem to fit the profile of, for example, kidney disease. The ONLY thing that's changed is that he is suddenly very thin especially in the hind quarters, which have started to sink in like a very old bony cat. Otherwise, he's exactly his normal self. He LOVES food and his appetite is excellent, as it always has been. I've been feeding him more, and he eats every bit of what I give him. I almost never see him drink water, and this has not changed: there are no indications of increased thirst. He's hyper, as always, very playful, purring for hours on end, and he dashes around the house in play with his sister cat at least several times a day. His eliminations seem normal: no excessive pee, no diarrhea. The only thing I can think is that the hyperthyroidism has returned, but I thought radiation was supposed to be a complete cure, and, again, his bloodwork was just fine for more than a year after the treatment. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks.

Comments (20)