SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittens_gw

Do stray cats stand a chance at the shelter?

kittens
12 years ago

I have 2 stray cats in my neighborhood. One had been outside for probably 4 years now. She's somehow managing to keep warm and survive through our tough NY winters. She's not causing any problems. She doesn't come close to my house, spray or fight with my indoor/outdoor kitty. She was definitely someone's pet because she wasn't too skittish when she first started coming around.

Now we have a second cat that seems totally feral. He's causing problems. He's sprayed in my neighbors garage and hangs around close to our houses. I don't want him near my house because 2 of my cats hang out in their kennel most of the day/evening. He howls all the time so I assume from that he might not be fixed (can't get close enough to tell).

We happened to be going by the shelter today so I stopped in. I asked the lady what their policy was on the strays. She said they let them settle in for a few days and then evaluate them; it wasn't a sure death sentence. The shelter looks tended to. The cats have plastic guards in front of them so people can't pass germs from cat to cat. (You have to take it into a meeting room to pet it). It wasn't overly crowded. They just did a Pet Palooza and the news said they adopted out over 400 animals and over 100 pending adoptions :)

Over the winter we had a 3rd stray show up. I was able to catch it. Because it hadn't gone into a feral state I was able to get a rescue lady to foster it. I honestly don't think I can find a place other than the shelter for this new boy cat. Do you think he's going to stand a chance at the shelter? Doesn't it take quite a bit of time for them to come around?

And what about the female. Is she better off here outside? They did have a cat marked 'stray' at the shelter. It was very scared and surely would get passed over because of that. She hasn't left our area all this time so must have found a warm place to snuggle in. I don't know if the neighbors put food out for her but she definitely doesn't look hungry. I feel awful for her because she doesn't have a home but I don't know if she'd make it through the shelter screening. Thoughts?

On a completely different side note - boy did they have some big cats at the shelter! Cats on steroids!!! One of them was in a medium sized dog bed and was hanging out of the sides. I've never seen so many huge cats at once - all adorable! There was a mom and daughter picking out a kitten and another woman in the getting-to-know area with a pit/pit mix looking dog. Right in the middle of the week - that was nice to see.

Comments (24)