SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msafirstein

My best Christmas Cookies

msafirstein
16 years ago

I tried many new cookie recipes this year but the best new recipe was Best Linzer Cookies posted by Ms. Monique!

OMG, they are fabulous!

And Sherry you will really like this cookie. Not too sweet and taste similar to a nut shortbread. The cookie was so good that I saved some plain sans the jam and powdered sugar.

This was my first time making Linzer Cookies and it was so fun. I will make Lizner Cookies over and over.

Also, the Candy Cane Cookies were very good. Just a hint of the Almond Extract was just enough to make a very good tasting cookie. Sorry but I did not note who posted the original recipe but it was posted Dec 2006.

Best Linzer Cookies (Monique)

Jeremiah Driansky, GH test engineer: "I'm Jewish, so my family doesn't celebrate Christmas. But every December, my best friend's mom, Enrichetta Grey, would welcome me into her home so I wouldn't miss out on all the holiday feasting and festivities. These delicious linzer tarts Enrichetta would send home with me have become my Christmas tradition."

Yields: About 4 dozen cookies

Prep Time: 90 minutes

Cook Time: About 17 minutes per batch

1 bag (8 ounces) pecans (about 2 cups and toasted if possible)

1/2 cup cornstarch

1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks), softened (no substitutions)

1 1/3 cups confectioners' sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 large egg

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup seedless red raspberry jam

1. In food processor with knife blade attached, pulse pecans and cornstarch until pecans are finely ground.

2. In large bowl, with mixer on low speed, beat butter and 1 cup confectioners' sugar until mixed. Increase speed to high; beat 2 minutes or until light and fluffy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. At medium speed, beat in vanilla, salt, and egg. Reduce speed to low; gradually beat in flour and pecan mixture just until blended, occasionally scraping bowl.

3. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces; flatten each into a disk. Wrap each disk with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 to 5 hours or until dough is firm enough to roll.

4. Preheat oven to 325 F. Remove 1 disk of dough from refrigerator; if necessary, let stand 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature for easier rolling. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough 1/8 inch thick. With floured 2 1/4-inch fluted round, plain round, or holiday-shaped cookie cutter, cut dough into as many cookies as possible. With floured 1- to 1 1/4-inch fluted round, plain round, or holiday-shaped cookie cutter, cut out centers from half of cookies. Wrap and refrigerate trimmings. With lightly floured spatula, carefully place cookies, 1 inch apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet.

5. Bake cookies 17 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough and trimmings.

6. When cookies are cool, sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar through sieve over cookies with cutout centers.

7. In small bowl, stir jam with fork until smooth. Spread scant measuring teaspoon jam on top of whole cookies; place cutout cookies on top. Store cookies, with waxed paper between layers, in tightly covered container at room temperature up to 1 week or in freezer up to 2 months. (If cookies are stored in freezer, you may need to sprinkle with confectioners' sugar again before serving.)

Candy Cane Cookies

1/3 cup finely crushed peppermint candy

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

1 cup sifted powdered sugar

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon almond extract

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon red food coloring

Combine candy and 1/3 cup sugar in a small mixing bowl, mixing well. Set aside.

Cream shortening and butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Stir in flavorings. Add flour and salt; mix well.

Divide dough in half; tint half of dough with food coloring. Shape tinted and plain dough by teaspoonfuls into 4 1/2-inch rolls on a lightly floured surface. Place a tinted and a plain roll side by side; carefully twist together. Curve one end down to resemble a cane. Repeat procedure with remaining dough. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets; bake at 375' for 9 minutes or just until edges begin to brown. Remove cookies from cookie sheets while warm; immediately coat with reserved candy mixture. Cool completely on wire racks.

Yield: about 4 dozen

from Christmas Cookies, Oxmoor House, 986

Note: I did not use the crushed candy cane topping as it made the cookies sweeter then I like.

Michelle

Comments (21)