SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

need help warming up cool color bedroom

sis2two
14 years ago

Currently my master bedroom is painted plymouth gray by porter which at times appears blue-gray and at other times green-gray. Don't like the green hue. The room faces north and we live in the woods. The rest of my home is in deep warm colors so this is a nice break from too many warm colors. I really need help in warming up this room maybe with accent colors and a rug which I need. My floors are antique heart pine and have a goldish hue. Would prefer not to repaint since my master bath is the same color in a lighter color. Please help.

Comments (41)

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Pictures of the room would help to visualize good suggestions.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nanny2a--I hope to post pics in a day or two. To be honest I neeed my dh or teens to help me post. I am technologically challenged to say the least. I forgot to mention that I have a fireplace with a old creamy chippy antique mantle and currently am using ivory colored bedding. Thank you for responding so quickly.

• Related Discussions

need help with picking bedroom color-please

Q

Comments (9)
    I have posted some pictures of my master bedroom furniture that I hope will help. Below is a link that shows a dining room that has been painted in the Hot-Crossed Bun paint that is the middle paint color on the sample. After seeing this on a wall I am wondering if this is going to be too dark in my MB? I guess I am not seeing the "creaminess" that I was hoping for-however I do know that pictures can be misleading. Thanks for any help in advance. http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2006/01/25/hdsf702_aft2_diningroomafter_j.jpg Here is a link that might be useful: master bedroom furniture
    ...See More

Cool or warm color for bedroom?

Q

Comments (44)
    Yeah! Success! I ended up going with BM Smoke at 75%. BM Silver Gray just looked a bit too cold for me, so I chose Smoke because it had just a little bit of green to warm up the color. Now the pinky tones that sometimes came out of the headboard are just about gone. I will post pics when I get all the pictures hung and everything put back in place. The LRV of Smoke is 56.3. I wonder what the LRV is now that I only used it at 75%? Comparing to the fan deck, the 75% Smoke it a little bit lighter than the 100%, but not even close to as light as the next color up on the strip, Iceberg, which has an LRV of 73.4. I think Smoke is one of the neutral blue/gray/greens. Just about every other color works with it. It seems like more and more designers are using these "neutral blues" as a backdrop that will go with about anything but is so much more interesting that your standard beige. Does anyone have recommendations for sites with great bedding? I really like some of the stuff Dwell does, but nothing they currently have on their site right now would work for me. I really think I would like to use something that has some navy in it, and I would like to add some little pillows with some red or yellow, or even kelly green to spice things up.
    ...See More

Advice on how to warm up my master bedroom

Q

Comments (2)
    I think you can take inspiration form your artwork. The copper brown and the gold both make for nice warm counterpoints to the blue. You could pull those in through throw pillows, curtains, artwork over the bed, or maybe with different lamps.
    ...See More

Help me grow-up my small bedroom?

Q

Comments (15)
    Some random thoughts: I was thinking of a gallery wall for your tv... something along these lines, but perhaps with dark purple / eggplant wall paint color: If a gallery wall is not appealing to you, perhaps introduce pattern and color in window shade - like this, but with "your" colors: Add some organic shape in bedside table - especially on the more visible left side of room: Re: lighting -- Because your bedside tables will be small, you may want to look into pin-up lamps for your bed wall. If you replace your media stand with something longer, but more narrow, you will have room for a table lamp or two. And you could probably squeeze in a narrow floor lamp in a corner as well. Good luck with your planning!
    ...See More
  • sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are pictures that may help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

No time to comment now other than to say that is a lovely room!

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

Love the blue and white you have going on. How about a nice plush (white) rug? Some greenery might help, if you like houseplants. You could also use some large pictures on the wall. And, of course, candles help warm a space, whether they are lit or not. :)

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

What a calm, soothing room. Canary or daffodil yellow accents would give some warmth. Maybe recover the pillows on the sofa, add another to the bed, & yellow & white vases on the mantel? If not yellow, you could consider the same in a rose, lime green, kelly green, etc.

• megsy
    14 years ago

I think both are absolutely lovely shades of gray.

I agree that a rug is in order.

I don't know if you'd want to add more blue but the idea of it is kind of charming to me: http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Wessex_Area_Rug/310/

or http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Anzan_Area_Rug/310/

or http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Mesereau_Area_Rug/310/

• stu2900
    14 years ago

I'm not a blue or gray person. I have no blue in my house, but I love your room! I would be so comfortable in there! It's soothing. That's the best way I can describe it. What I see missing, though, is personal items. You need some "things". Not necessarily another color. But, something that means something to you. Pictures, books (which I do see) or candlesticks on the mantle, or a tall plant to the left of the fireplace. (Which I love by the way.)I agree with hollygarden that greenery would help. I'm not a decorating guru by any means, but I wouldn't change anything big and I wouldn't introduce any specific color. Do you need a nightstand next to the bed for a clock, lamps, books, water at night? (Those are the things I need close to me.)Just make it more personal.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

I agree with Kathleen in that a pop of yellow will do the trick. I see a gorgeous fat vase in the bathroom. Could you find a similar one and fill it with jonquils or gerber daisies to one side of the mantle. Get a soft yellow mohair throw to lie over the bed or on the couch. Find a nice piece of art with warm colors for between the two windows. Can you fill that lamp with seashells that have brownish to white tones? And finally some textured pillows with a soft shade of yellow or even tiny pillows to lie against the ones on the sofa. It's a gorgeous room!!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

If not yellow, then maybe a soft apricot or pale coral.

Gorgeous room. I love the fireplace.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

This is really off the wall, but if you're wanting to warm up the room, a Rasberry or Fuchsia would look gorgeous w/the pale blue and white! IMO, any deep-to-bright pink would be very unexpected. ;o)

• chris11895
    14 years ago

I was also going to say an orangey, coral type of color. Maybe like this Pillowhref>. Maybe not that exact pillow, but you can see how the colors go together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pillow

• begoniagirl
    14 years ago

Hi Sis2two....I did answer your question about Greenfield Pumpkin a few days ago but I think it's now way down on the list of posts and perhaps you didn't see it. Anyway, I love your beautiful room, especially the corner fireplace, just the way it is. Your current color is really lovely and you just need some personal touches and accessories. You might want to keep the Greenfield Pumpkin color in mind for another future project....cheers....

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and kind words. I plan to use all the suggestions and plan to start with some touches of soft yellow since I use golds through most of my rooms. I have found two rugs from pottery barn that I really like. One is called the marena and has my exact wall color with a little yellow gold in it and the other is the ivory wool loop rug. If there are any more suggestions, would love to hear them.
    Begoniagirl--Thanks so much for responding and I do plan to use that paint color in one of my next paint oppotunities. Love your room with it.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

I agree that a deep pink or fuchsia color in pillows and in the rug would be a fabulous accent, with that color picked up in some other items in the room, paintings, accessories etc. What you have already is really lovely.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

I'd love to see the room when you finish!!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I love the Maren rug you have picked out for the room. Both color and style are appropriate.

One thing I would do is switch out the clock above the FP. The pale white color is too similar to the FP and does not add any pop. A bolder painting or something would make that corner a real focal point. A wall clock in a BR is probably not necessary since you probably already have an alarm clock in the room.

Have you considered a different furniture arrangement? Having an open headboard instead of a solid one when angling a bed can look 'off' in front of windows. Can the sofa be placed in front of the windows and the bed put there or where the dresser is? Or angle the bed in the opposite corner and put a sheer canopy behind it to add a romantic feel?

Also right now all your wood pieces are on one side of the room near the wood door. It might be better to spread the wood around the room more. Just a thought since you did ask for all suggestions for the room.

It's a lovely room already and you are headed in the right direction.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I agree with dilly, if you can move the bed and remove the clock, try that - maybe move bed to where dresser and mirror are, move dresser and mirror b/t the windows? Then artwork and maybe some patterned curtains? I'd like to see some touches of rose or coral - I love this Cotswold fabric from Country Curtains, they have fabric, shams and valances on clearance, you'd have to make drapes. A rug with some of the same warm colors (just a touch) on a cream background would help too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to CC Cotswold fabric

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dilly dally--Thank you for all of your suggestions and I am glad you think the rug will work because it is one of my favorites. Rearranging the furniture is tricky because we have three doors that open to our bedroom including the one going into the bathroom. If I moved the bed where the sofa is, you would walk right into it upon entering the room. I f I put the bed where the dresser is then my black dresser will be right beside my mantle and we tried that before. Just looked strange. I've thought about placing the bed between two windows but then there is no place I could put my chest that I use as a nightstand. If you have more suggestions, I really do want to hear them. Thanks again.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

What a lovely room! Feels like a fresh late-spring or early-summer day. But of course, with a view out to snowy woods, it could feel a bit cool in winter. (Or maybe that's just me - I'm freezing today!)

A rug is definitely the place to start. As to the Maren rug -- It's lovely. But IMO, it's "more of the same". I'm afraid it won't warm the flavor of the room the way the Eva rug would. The Jenna would also work well and is a very safe choice.

Maren:
    {{!gwi}}

Eva:
    {{!gwi}}

Jenna:
    {{!gwi}}

Overall, I love the room. In the warm months, I'd add Daffodils or maybe Lavender on the fireplace, and other than that -- change nothing.

But for winter, could you swing different drapes (or an additional set) and a warmer-looking quilt? If that's not in your current budget, pillows in warmer fabrics and a throw in deeper colors would have a similar effect.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sweeby--Thank you for taking time to go through the rugs to help me. I got a swatch of the maren which is very pretty, but I plan to order a swatch of the eva to see if the colors will work with my wall color. I could indeed change my bedding and curtains so if you have any suggestions let me know. I do like more suttle colors in my bedroom because I tend to have so much color in the rest of my home. I have put some new things on my mantle and will try to post tomorrow. If I go with the maren, do you think I would be too limited in my bedding choices. It does have some gold in it which would look good with yellow accents. Hope to hear from you. Still haven't picked a kitchen backsplash yet. I'm all over the map with decorating projects.

• mary_lu_gw
    14 years ago

I really think the marena rug would look great. You could bring in soft yellows for warmth and still maintain the overall serene feel of the room.

I also like the eva rug, but feel the strong colors would cancel the soft/serene feel of the room and take you in a different direction.

• loribee
    14 years ago

Ditto...I'd love to see the room when you finish-
    I absolutely love it as it is now...
    I hope that you can add touches of yellow or pale gold and that it works well for you. Maybe add some yellow flowers in your pretty basket, a small rug, some throw pillows and artwork. :)

• rheasantos
    14 years ago

Among the bedroom painting ideas are the quiet, muted hues that are favorite bedroom color choices, as they tend to be more comforting and relaxing. Cool colors (blues/greens) provide a soothing feeling that adds everyday livability to the bedroom space. Cool colors also contain the added bonus of visually expanding small bedrooms and making the space appear larger. Choosing adjacent colors on the Color Wheel for a bedroom color scheme allows for a particularly well-blended space.

Here is a link that might be useful: simmons world class

• sweeby
    14 years ago

MaryLu's got a good point about the stronger colors in the Eva rug working against the subtle monochomatic look you've got now... (Though it would look lovely and would warm up the room.) The Maren wouldn't do that, so might be better in that respect.

OK - So if you want to keep the subtle aqua and cream and muted color scheme but still warm things up, adding yellow (I'd go for butter and buttercream colors) would be the way to go -- IMO, gold would be too strong. A really soft thick chenille throw on the bed would be a good addition. They just look so cozy!

I also think 'over drapes' (is there such a thing?) in a warmer, thicker fabric would help in the winter. I love your window treatments, but they just seem very summery. Adding something that looks and feels warmer (something lined is key) would make a big difference. I can't remember the name of the type of fabric that comes to mind -- it's got crewel work on a beige wool or linen background, often birds or floral patterns, frequently with smokey blues, browns, golds and bits of russet and green. The right velveteen, chenille or flocked taffeta could also work -- but something heavier in texture, light in color.

Hope that helps!

• straitlover
    14 years ago

Can't help you because the look you have is exactly what I am going for in my guest bedroom - LOL! My new quilt is very similar to the one you have, and I am in the process of picking out paint. I will have to see if they sell Porter paint around here. Cute bathroom, too, from what I can see.

My question is about the clear lamp on the chest? Where did you find that? I need one! :)

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

The room is wonderfully serene. Since you use more color elsewhere in your home, maybe this room could be warmed more with texture than color. The rug will go a long ways towards warming up the room. Adding a thick, lushly textured throw to the settee would be great too. Possibly more textural interest by adding roman shades to window, or using heavily textured panels.

One place that I would add color would be in artwork on fireplace wall. The clock is lovely, but somehow not conducive to lazing about in bed! Do you have plans for bedside tables and lighting?

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so much for the suggestions and encouraging feedback. I do plan to add touches of yellow and will be ordering the maren rug. The clock will probably stay for now as I have tried numerous pictures which always seem to look a little strange with the white of my mantle.

straitlover-my lamp came from pottery barn and I really like it. Would love to see your room when you are done.

gwbr54-I actually use that blanket chest for my nightstand. I have added a small table on the other side of the bed. I may add a swing arm lamp on that side of the bed. Would you go with a yellow throw on the settee?

Loribee-I was glad to hear from you since I have admired your rooms that I have seen. They are so my style if I could put things together. Thanks for your comments.

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

For the throw, I was picturing something woven (maybe plaid) using the colors in your rug. Is your settee upholstered in linen?

I was going to suggest mirror over fireplace, but that would probably be one too many mirrors. I'm not sure why artwork would odd over mantle - I would think that a frame (or frames) about the same wood tone as your furniture would look great.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"I have tried numerous pictures which always seem to look a little strange with the white of my mantle."

I know I am mocked for my adherence to Feng Shui but I can't help but feel a wall clock in a bedroom is not relaxing with it's omnipresent reminder of time and schedules. Your wall clock is cute. Maybe it can be diffused by adding a couple things on the mantle.

Something unframed would look soft over the FP and not bring in heavy wood to bulk up the FR corner. Something in the style of Monet or scenery or showing persons relaxing. Maybe one of those starving artist shows might have something appropriate for a good price.

\

• kismet08
    14 years ago

I don't have a lot of suggestions, but I do love your room. I just wanted to post and beg you to post more pics of that bathroom! The claw foot tub under that window is just too cute!

• msrose
    14 years ago

sis - I have a similar clock in my bedroom and I just love it.

I really like the serene feeling you have going on in there now and I think the Maren rug will look great. Here's a picture of my favorite bedroom. It has that same serene feeling. I think the wood from the furniture and the brown colored pictures add a little warmth, but I can't imagine throwing in a brighter color like yellow.
    {{!gwi}}

Laurie

• msrose
    14 years ago

I just found this rug on the lampsplus website and thought it was pretty.

{{!gwi}}

Laurie

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

Another option is a textile wall hanging over your fireplace. This one is perhaps too well-known, but I would enjoy looking at it anyway.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I love the 'aged' look of your clock and the cream monochromatic coloration -- but have to agree that a Clock is not the most relaxing item to display in such a prominent place in your bedroom.

What about a wreath instead? Something a bit larger in diamer than the clock, but relatively light in visual weight. Maybe something in dried lavender, laurel leaves, or dried white flowers?

• suero
    14 years ago

That magazine rack by the side of the sofa is just crying out for some colorful magazines.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so much for your ideas which I plan to use. I actually had taken my winter decorations off my mantle before the picture was taken which did help the monotones of the mantle and clock. For some reason my husband is partial to the clock but I do hope to replace it. I think something unframed may be a good option.I also plan to put a picture between the two windows as soon as I find something I like.Will post some pics of my mantle to get some feedback..

Kismet08-As soon as I take a few pics of the bathroom, I will post them on the decorating site. Thank you for the compliment.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a picture of my mantle now. Feel free to tell me honestly what I should change. The candlesticks are whiter than my mantle and I think may need to be changed out for something else. Do you think the clock still needs to go? Hope to hear from you. {{!gwi}}

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Sorry it's late but here is how I warmed up my MBR when I painted the walls what was supposed to be a dusty blue (wasn't). I used soft gold. Ignore the half finished dresser please:

{{!gwi}}

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Sis - just went back and looked at your pictures and your room is beautiful!

• msrose
    14 years ago

I love the fireplace and the clock doesn't look so lost now. If you ever do decide to put a picture over the fireplace, the clock would look good over the loveseat.
    I think a rug on the floor and pictures on the wall will make a big difference.

Laurie