SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

What size tank water heater?

14 years ago

I've searched old posts regarding water heaters, but could still use some advice.

We are building a 4500 square foot, 1 1/2 story home with a basement with 4 1/2 baths. Our family consists of myself, DH and our 6 yo. We have guests about 4-5 times a year. DH and I tend to shower in the morning and our son in the evening. We have one dishwasher and of course a washing machine. We live in the midwest- so it can get cold. I'm trying to sort out a water heater plan. The architect's plans calls for 2 x 75 gallon tank water heaters. That seems like overkill to me. In our old home we had one 40 gallon tank and rarely ran out of water. I've read about the pros and cons of tankless heaters as well. However, we have plenty of space in the basement so that's not an issue. Also, the tankless would be alot more expensive and we would not recoup the cost through energy savings for many, many years.

Here are my choices:

-keep the 2 75 gallon tank heaters

-put in one 75 gallon tank-it should be enough

-do one 75 gallon tank for the home and one tankless for the master bath. Do people mix the two types?

-one 75 gallon tank and one tankless on the second floor for my son's bath and kitchen since these will be far from the tank.

-tankless for the entire house. How many units would I need? 2-3?

Comment (1)