SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrapots

Our stray kitten has gingivitis-pyorrhea!

Terrapots
17 years ago

The kitten that adopted us about 4 months ago is going to lose some teeth. That bad breath the vet said was baby teeth shedding has gotten worse. Took her to our old "expensive" vet after noting some PUS on her lip yesterday. She's seen 3 different vets, was spayed, microchipped, and vaccinated but no one seemed concerned about her bad bloody teeth even though I took her in for just that. She was put on antibiotics last night and took blood panel, smears. Got an estimate, it may cost close to $1000 to get her better, depending on what they find. Also found out she may be a Russian Blue, probably not pure as her eyes are very yellow. She has been pretty moody and I think that has been the problem. I feel so bad that this condition has gone on so long and she was neglected. They still don't know why she would get this at such a young age, the vet is suspicious there might be an underlying disease. At any rate, she may lose most of her teeth but she assures me that cats don't miss their teeth. Maybe that's why her personality changed after she was spayed. Sometimes she gets cuddly and loving and then she snaps at me and seems angry, sometimes she gets on the bed at nighttime and sleeps there all night and sometimes she refuses to come into the room, just sits outside the door. So perplexing. I wonder what I would have done before we became so attached? I still don't think I would have had the heart to take her to the pound had I known this before. Well, there goes my vacation.

Comments (13)