SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kravitz14

Kitten has bloody mucus in his stool

kravitz14
15 years ago

I'd be grateful for any ideas that I can bring to my vet about the following issue:

We adopted two kittens (boys, littermates) from the animal shelter almost two months ago. They are now nearly four months old. One (not both) of them has developed an issue where bloody mucus comes out at the end of his stool. Sometimes it is left with the stool, but sometimes it just makes a clump on his butt, which is then deposited on whatever the next thing is that he sits on.

Since we brought them home, they have had the same food so there's been no change in diet. I'm pretty sure that he didn't have this problem when we adopted them; I think I would have noticed an issue like this quickly. There are no other pets in the household. Both kittens have been checked for worms and other parasites twice recently (with stool samples). The vet tried putting them both on antibiotics for five days (which did seem to make the problem diminish) but four days after completing the antibiotics, the issue is back. He didn't seem to have any other ideas about this so I'd like to have some of my own to offer when I call them back.

Many thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Michelle

Comments (23)