SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharo_gw

opinions on how to update my living room (pictures)

sharo
12 years ago

Hi, I am a first time poster here and would love your insight.

What fabric would work to update the window treatments in my living room? I think maybe a rough linen or muslin panels on either side of the bay window. I would also change the area rug to a solid or tone on tone beige. Any advice would be appreciated. I will paint too.

My living room was done in about 10 years ago and at the time I loved it, but now I want to update it a bit. I would like to make it a little more modern and give it a little edge.

(Ideally I would reupholster everything, and go for a more modern but traditional look, but I don't want to shell out that kind of cash (or invest all the time) to do that when there are other areas of my home that need work.)

When I think about it.. I do still kind of like it, except the window treatments and area rug. I think it looks very airy but traditional, I just don't want it too look too dated.

Let me know if you can't see the pictures with the link. The whole living room is shown

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Living room

Comments (26)

• andreadeg
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello and Welcome!

Your room has good bones and with a few updates you can transform your room. As you mentioned, the drapes and rug are dating things a bit. A more simple grommet drape in a gray green on the windows would look lovely and compliment your furniture. If you don't want the expense of reupholstering your loveseats you can add low and long pillows to cover up some of the tufting. I'd recommend slipcovering the round ottoman in a linen with some grey-green piping. A new rug would be great too but since it is not as visible I wouldn't put your money there first.

What kind of paint color are you thinking of for the wall?

• sharo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found the instructions on how to embed pictures, so here they are!
    {{gwi:1639015}}
    {{gwi:1639016}}

{{gwi:1639018}}
    {{gwi:1639020}}
    {{gwi:1639022}}
    {{gwi:1639024}}

• Related Discussions

Indecisive on my living room windows! Please give your opinions!

Q

Comments (8)
    I like the addition of molding, but I think what you have is a little too much. I'd get rid of the head, keep a simple picture frame with stool. I think any of the window coverings you've shown are pretty nice. The curtains do soften the wall a lot.
    ...See More

Downsized in real life. Update on my 1939 living room.

Q

Comments (110)
    This house was 1700sf, but I want to "age in place" so I added a first-floor master suite, laundry and a new kitchen. The stairs are narrow, without a handrail, so I didn't want to use the upstairs master (it's now my studio)! The person before me lived here 30 years and had one of those lift chairs until she finally had to go into assisted living. The old kitchen didn't have original cabinets and there was only 1.5 feet (really) on two sides of the island, the cabinets were only 1 foot deep and the 1980s fridge couldn't be removed without removing the island (width of the sink and dw only). The rooms are on a 12' wide scale. So, my new master and kitchen are 12'x12'. My previous home that my husband and I built was over 4000 sf on 4.5 acres. I was an avid gardener (and blogger). I don't have the gardening/blogging in me anymore. I have 1/2 acre here.
    ...See More

Updated: "Help me decorate my living room - Desperate help needed!"

Q

Comments (1)
    I see a few things that aren’t horrible, by any means, but could be changed. Mirror and sideboard, for instance, as mirror is too large for the sideboard and it overwhelms the room, reflecting the t v. Try the art over the sideboard and add a floor lamp where the plant is, as it will do double duty for the sofa and the art. Have you ever thought about adding a floor to ceiling strip of trim to separate the dining area from the living area and painting that wall a color? Something like this with a couple of white shelves on that wall?
    ...See More

How to update ugly bathroom to match my Living Room?

Q

Comments (30)
    If you really are keeping the floor tile, LOVE the vanity in the first batch of examples with the very deep marble countertop and grayish vanity. I would have the vanity the blue of the floor tile though. The reason I’m loving the thick marble is it plays off your coffee table. Anyways, honestly, the floor looks really old and 80s to me in a bad way. Everything else is beautiful though...how old is your home?
    ...See More
  • sharo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can I slipcover the ottoman with all the tufting? I didn't even this of that. Thanks you!

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Yes, you should be able to; consult with someone who makes slipcovers for an appropriate design; I'm sure that you could.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

What colors do you like? What colors are in your sofa, grey, lavender, pink? I actually like your wall color. The main thing is to change the window treatment. Maybe bamboo blinds and linen panels? Do you like sisal/sea grass rugs? And a different floor lamp and art?

{{gwi:1639025}}

• karen.iz
    12 years ago

I have a chair in my family room with the same fabric. My walls are painted in Benjamin Moore's Dried Parsley, and it looks great with the fabric.

I love your room, and it will be pretty with new drapes and rug. I think I'd also spray paint the brass in your fireplace black (I did that in my old house, and it made a huge difference).

You might also want a chunkier lamp on the round table... something with a little more visual weight. I'd probably edit some picture frames from the window sill, also, and just leave one or two and a plant.

Have fun! I love your ottoman, and have coveted that side table from EA for years!

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

The window treatment needs updating but I don't know that I'd go with the natural fiber shades in such a traditional room. Floor to ceiling panels would make a big difference.

I don't see anything wrong with the rug. If you do replace it, I don't think you want to use a natural fiber rug.

I would remove the photos from the window sill and work on your table top vignettes. I like the lamp that is on your table but the size of the shade looks a little bit off to me.

I'd put a very small table with a lamp, next to the chair in the corner. Since the table has to be so small, you may only be able to fit a buffet lamp on it, but that chair does not appear to be a reading spot anyway.

I'd be careful about doing something like slip-covering the ottoman. I'm afraid a change like that might make the sofas look old. If you are not ready to redo everything, you have to be careful of how you freshen the room. I'd redo the window and then see how you feel about doing other things.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I agree that you have a good space there! I also like the wall color, but I think a grey would look spectacular with your chair and loveseat fabrics or something like Dried Parsely would give you that update you are looking for since Karen has the same fabric, has used it in her room and attests to the fact they look great together. Then, replace the draperies with simple panels, add a few large pieces to your windowsill and you will have instant wow.

One of the things that jumped out at me was the crystal lamp. Again, I agree that something chunkier with more presence would help update the room. You could stick with crystal or glass for the lamp, but I think larger and heavier would look better. Also, get a new lampshade for the floor lamp. A different shape would make it look modern. Then spring for recovering or slipcovering the ottoman. The upholstery style is classic, but you could make it new with cleaner lines.

Just a few cosmetic changes will have you seeing a whole new room! Oh and maybe one large piece of art over the chest instead of the two that look very matchy matchy with the loveseat fabric...jeepers, I need to stop. I really do like your room and trust me, I do the same thing around here...makes my husband nuts..."well, we could move this, replace that, change the rug..." I am very dangerous, but it is fun to change things, I think!

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

This blog may give some inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cote de texas

• sharo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Thank you for the responses. I have a lot to work out.
    I am going to work on the window treatments first. It is hard to pick a fabric and I am dreading it a little. I will definitely plan on full panels.
    Now I am also thinking about finding some new art to replace the two matching prints. I love the idea of a replacing the crystal lamp with some thing chunky and spray painting the brass fireplace piece.

I may keep the paint color or go with a lighter, cream color. (I just painted the kitchen a sage color (urban nature) and the family room coventry gray. (I'll post them at some point.) Because of nice afternoon light that this room gets, this room will stay on lighter side.

A big thank you for all the ideas!!!
    Sharon

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

I love many things about the room, inc. the wall color, but I don't think it is tying everything together. Seems like the rug and sofas go with each other, but not the wall color. I would not get new curtains until you pick out the rug you want. Easier to find fabric to go with a rug than the other way around. What is the undertone in the rug and fabric? I'd work from there. To me, it looks gray. I think you could go with a very light gray but then use more pillows as an accent, maybe more of the pink you have. I could also see a table that is a little heavier, and maybe not round since everything else ks round. I would not change anything with the tufting. I think it adds a lot. Don't think about updating, but think about the balance of color and shape. With just a little more tweaking it will be set.

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

Would it be possible to just remove the skirt from the ottoman? That would update it nicely. I am seeing designers use tufting again..but maybe not as much as you have. If you had two of your side chairs with a table to replace one of your love seats it would lighten the weight the furniture adds to the room.

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

Great space to work with!

Here are some ideas to consider, in no particular order:

Take skirt off the ottoman and wipe on stain on the legs or paint them out.

Take off the entire window treatment. See what you think about it bare. If that is too stark, then I like the blind/drapery look posted above.

Swap out the white chest with the darker one on the other room.

Remove the lonely chair stranded by the fireplace. Or pull it in closer to the center of the room.

See what you think about swapping the oval mirror to go where the 2 long skinny pictures are now.

Try the white chest where the lonely chair is now, with art above it.

Try lonely chair where the oval mirror is now.

Consider painting over the shiny brass on the fire place screen with spray paint in a duller finish.

Add window seat cushion to bay window.

I think a muddier wall color would work better with all of your furniture. More taupe-y.

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

After I posted last I noticed the sconces flaking the fire place. Are they electrical? They seem too small. If the brass on the fire place is going, the brass on them should go too. If they are just decorative, I would consider something different.

• leafy02
    12 years ago

I like the skirt on the ottoman--go figure! To me, it's an unusual detail you don't see everywhere, and it's pretty. In an overcluttered room with too many or too-frilly details, it would be too much but your room isn't like that and I think it makes a nice "look at me" piece without being over the top. IMO.

I'm another one for considering change to the matchy prints over the table. I do like the framed needlework (or painting?) above the fireplace, although I would hang it rather than prop it to give it a little more permanent/dignified look.

I'd like to see more color and/or weight in the decor on the mantel. I like the idea of the traditional tapers, but they are disappearing totally right now.

Changing the lampshade shape on the floor lamp would be a quick way to update, and if you are replacing the crystal lamp, you may want to use the same shade shape as whatever that new lamp will have.

I am jealous of your large window!

• enailes
    12 years ago

Very pretty room, I would move the striped chair, closer into the room, I would also add some dark wood furniture to the space, I saw a chest in front of the glass blocks that I would use. I would move out one of the sofa's and find another chair to use in the space. I like the ottoman and would keep. Instead of matching I would try to play up contrasts.

• sharo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all again.
    I am going to try and get a new area rug and some ready made panels to play with from country curtains and start with that. I agree the rug will have to come first.
    If I have time I spray paint the brass surrounding the fireplace this week or next.
    Yes, I have to work on the sconces too! I have some in mind.
    I thought I posted the fabrics, but didn't. Hopefully it will post this time. Sorry so large. The fabric has a beige background. Colors are muted. The paint is bm golden straw.
    Thank you all so much. I have been lurking on this forum occasionally and really am grateful for the help!!!!
    Sharon

Thanks!!! Sharon

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Sharon, have you seen the new House Beautiful? Check out the tufted ottoman on the cover! Then, you may stop worrying about yours! :)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

You have a pretty room there- I think I would have a hard time painting over that yellow, but it would look pretty in a light beige too. I'm with the others on the matchy art- I'd put something else there. I'd also replace the pillows with light gray-green or beige pillows, but I suffer from a lack of imagination.
    Renee

• Pieonear
    12 years ago

I love your skirted ottoman.

• jyount
    12 years ago

I would just concentrate on the rug and the drapes. I like everything else, including the ottoman. I assume you like traditional style. Please dont feel pressured to completely change your decor because a trend says so. Focus on finding the things that you really love.when we decorate with items we really enjoy it becomes timeless, at least to ourselves. And really, thats whose opinions matter the most.

• susanmiller696
    12 years ago

I agree with nosoccermom, change the window treatment. I could feel there is a lack of proper lighting in your living room, or is it the brightness of pic.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Great bones...your furniture and wall color are all fine!
    Simply add a textured, medium colored sisal or jute rug, burlap, drop cloth or muslin drapes, bamboo blinds and lots of cream, different type textured pillows.
    Also...can you hang the art that is on the floor above the lamp and table?? Your room will shine! :)

• leafy02
    12 years ago

Saw a skirted ottoman on the cover of House Beautiful this month!

• les917
    12 years ago

I would find a soft shade of the blue grey in the chair (and likely in the floral on the seating) and paint the walls that color, the ceiling as well. It will make your trim look fresh and crisp, and make the fireplace stand out.

I would like to open up the window area, especially if you are going to add full drapery that should extend past the window on each side.

I would take down the two pix over the small cabinet and find them a new home.

I would also take down the brass sconces by the fireplace, and move them to the wall where the two pix were - and hang the oval mirror between them. The mirror in that spot will bounce light from the window. Right now the sconces appear to be floating in space. If they are good brass and you are happy with that, leave them. They will be very pretty against the soft blue-grey walls and should work with the mirror.

I would find a new home for the art piece over the fireplace. If it would fit on the wall where the oval mirror is now, that is where I would put it.

Move the small cream cabinet to the wall area to the right of the front window, and put a small lamp on it, and hang the art piece from above the fireplace low over the cabinet, if it will fit there instead of where the oval mirror is currently. If it is too large, perhaps it would work in your DR, and you could hang a couple of prints or family photos over the cabinet instead. That will bring some interest and light to that area.

Move the loveseat from in front of the window to the other side of the room, facing the window. Leave the other loveseat as it is. Put the round table between them, and look for a new lamp, perhaps something with a bit heavier base in hand-painted porcelain or mercury glass.

Move the chair to the corner where the tree is, and put the tree where the chair was. Get a small uplight that you can bury in the dirt in the tree pot, and plug in. It will give a soft light in the corner, and also make the tree feel fuller as the light throws pattern on the corner walls.

Pull the chair out away from the corner, though. It shouldn't feel like punishment to be sitting there. LOL

The floor lamp is fine, but consider getting a new drum shade, perhaps in a deeper blue-grey, to update the lamp. Keep it to the fireplace side of the chair, and back a bit, so that the light would be over the shoulder if someone was reading there. A small wine table or a narrow rectangular chest or table would work, I think.

I would look for a new rug, something neutral but on the light side, with some texture. Be sure that the front legs of your seating are on the rug. Not sure what size your rug is, but it might be a bit bigger than you need. Whatever you choose, I would stay away from that open oval, pattern all on the edges look that you have now. It is fine for under a dining table, because you don't need pattern in the middle. But to open your space and make it feel spacious, I think that type of pattern or design works against you.

Drapery would be nice in a color similar to the background in the floral upholstered pieces, perhaps a tone on tone stripe or damask.

I am kind of intrigued by these - either in the birch or, if it would work, what appears to be a grey-blue, which could be pretty in the richer color if the wall color was similar but softer:

annika drapery

I like your tuffet ottoman, but I have to say that I think a clear glass table of some kind would be a bit more interesting. Brass and glass if you decide to keep the rest of the brass in the room. I would also think about a rectangle, because unlike a lot of people, you have more curves than hard angles in the room right now, and you could use more of that for balance.

Finally, once all the major players are in place, I would look for new art for over the fireplace, something that speaks to you but has a bit more modern feel. Some interesting candlesticks, perhaps in a color like the burgundy in the floral fabric, which will be pretty against the walls.

New pillows for the loveseats and chair would be great, too. Don't be afraid to mix in some patterns, particularly a stripe, an animal print, and be sure they are a bit larger than the small lumbar pillows you have.

• les917
    12 years ago

You could also consider adding some pretty plates to the wall where the mirror is now, or hang photographs in a collection there and use plates over the cabinet to the right of the window.

Oh, and if you decide to keep the ottoman, you could have a plywood circle cut as wide as the top. Upholster that, attach a skirt all the way around, and use a pretty trim to cover where the skirt part attaches to the plywood top. No more tuffet look, and it simply rests on top of the ottoman. A pretty textured silk look would fit the room, or a linen or dense burlap could be a more modern feel.

Hang the drapes high on the wall, just a couple of inches below the ceiling. Be sure that they don't cover much more than a few inches in on the window on each side, to maximize the light.

An orchid in a low and wide container would be nice in the window, feel more modern, and be a cleaner look than all the small frames.

Okay, I am going to bed now. :-)