SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Counter top people: question about KD vs. fabricators

deedles
10 years ago

Say, question about this whole counter thing.

I ordered my counter top a couple weeks ago. The KD came out and measured to get enough of an idea what to charge me for material and install. Was told to expect the contract in a day or so.

Then, a week went by and no agreement forthcoming. Took a phone call by me to get one with an apology.

Was told to sign it and send a deposit for about half of the cost. I mentioned to the KD that several items specified during his visit was not on the agreement, i.e. drain grooves, full height back splash. He said "oh that's okay, you just explain it to the guy when he comes to template." I asked was this all still included in the price and he said yes, that it was.

Another week goes by and no call from the templater to schedule. So, I call the KD again and leave a message wondering when I can expect to hear from someone.

KD's wife calls back and says "Oh, it took me forever to find your order... um, the counter you ordered is discontinued." When I questioned that, she blamed the fabrication shop for not telling them. As in "they didn't let us know for some reason". I asked her how she didn't know this when her company had sent me the contract and she said "I guess we didn't notice then".

Okay, 2 weeks in now. I pick another counter top on the phone (thank goodness for all the samples that I ordered, haha).

So yesterday, the guy from the fabricator shop calls and says he's in the area and can he stop by because he heard this is a 'rush job'. Okay.

When he gets here it becomes apparent that he knows nothing about the things KD and I talked about. He shows me his communication from the KD which only shows the measurements of the counter, mentions a 6" backsplash and "optional shelf". He also tells me that the KD estimated 2 sheets of material and said "no way" is that going to be enough.

So. This morning I've sent an email to the KD asking for another amended contract reflecting the counter material change (this new choice is a grade cheaper than the one I originally wanted so I'm thinking it should cost me less, too.) and noting what I've already paid as a deposit.

Now. Since I've signed a contract for a certain amount. If the fabricators bill to the KD is higher than originally thought because of needing more material and more fabrication, can this KD guy come back to me for more $$ or does he eat the difference? Far as I can tell, he's done nothing but have his name in the phone book and isable to get the fabricators to come to my house (they don't deal directly with the public).

Just starting to feel a bit sketchy about this.

FWIW: we had this same KD company do a counter in our other house 6 years ago and they did a great job, perfect and we were very happy which is why we called them again. But, back then they also did the fabrication and a couple years ago the owner dropped the fabrication part and just does KD now. Have no idea if that's germane to the issue but thought I'd throw it out there.

Comments (10)