SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Cat losing weight...

rivkadr
13 years ago

My 14-year-old cat Jo has been losing weight over the past several months. The vet first noted it when I took him in to see them in February; his bloodwork at the time showed nothing. I started being vigilant, though, and weighed him every week or two, and noticed last week that he had dropped a few more ounces.

Took him in on Saturday, and they took more bloodwork. I'll probably get the results tomorrow.

I have noticed that he's been drinking a lot more lately; he also eats a decent amount, which is why it's surprising that he's losing weight. Haven't really noticed any other symptoms than that (he barfs every week or two, but 9 times out of 10, it's a giant hairball). He may be a bit more lethargic, but we just assumed it's because he's getting old, and because since our other cat died last year, he's just got no one to play with.

The vet said that if the bloodwork showed nothing, then it might be something intestinal related, and they'd have to do X-rays and an ultrasound (not too thrilled at that prospect, as money is tight right now).

Anyone got any thoughts on what this might be or dealt with a similar situation?

Comments (14)