SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anne_marie_alb

Is hyperT totally ruled out in my older cat? long, sorry.

Anne_Marie_Alb
13 years ago

Background:

Almost 14 year-old calico. Started drinking & urinating a lot about 6 weeks ago, and quite suddenly, too. Is currently drinking about 3/4 cup a day. Urinating 6 times a day. A substantial increase for her. Throwing up more frequently, just food-every 2-3 days now, early morning.

No weight loss (same weight for 7 months)

Sleeps a lot more than usual.

Test results:

Urinalysis (cystocentesis)- all normal except gravity 1.015

CHEMISTRY BLOOD

Glucose is High (252) but was once 282 (in 2006)--just due to stress-blood was drawn after cystosentesis last week (thus increasing stress level). No glucose in urine, and not an overweight cat.

BUN (33)and Creatinine (2.1) have both reached the high range. Were respectively 20 & 1.7 in Nov. '09. Looks like the kidneys might be the issue--the change was quite sudden..

Thyroid values: and this is where I get quite confused.

T4: 2.1 ('06), 3 (April '08), 2.5 (Nov. '08), 1.9 (Nov. '09), 2.5 last week.

Free T4 (equil. dialysis): 3.4 (range 1.2-4.3 ng/dL)

Free T4 (equil. dialysis): 43.8 (range 15.4 -55.3 pmol/L

Vet explained that Free T4 values by e.d. were reliable values in ruling out HyperT.

No total T4 values showing on report

Vet says all this is normal. I know that in older cats values should go down NOT up. Plus, last April vet could slightly feel the thyroid gland. Not sure this time. So I am concerned.

However she is not losing weight or eating more (2 big flags in HyperT cats). Weight is stable.

Do these values go up due to an underlying issue (i.e: kidneys?)

pancreatitis (issue last Nov.): fPL: 1.5 totally back to normal!

CBC comprehensive: all values look in nomal range except for Lymphocytes: 17 (20-55%) & absolute lymphocytes: 1190 (1550-7000/uL), but have always been low since we started doing bloodwork (9 years ago). Forgot to ask vet about that when she called.

Debating the options:

Fructosamine to truly rule out the glucose issue.

X-ray of abdomen and ultrasound.

I'll probably go for both although I hate the ideas of more tests as no diagnosis ever comes out... When she had her pancreatitis issue, it came as suddenly as it went...

Vet also suggested a holistic vet (whom I had actually seen for a previous cat--distance is a factor) at least to see if he could help reduce her stress, which might be an issue (has not yet accepted the 2 cats we adopted 2 years ago, although she does leave them alone now).

Observe for another week or so?

This cat never had any health issues up to now, has never been on any med, and a visit to the vet's gets her very stressed out..

Welcome any advice that would help me take the next step. Thank you.

Anne-Marie

Comments (5)