SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Neighbors and Barking among other things.(really long, sorry!!)

munkos
17 years ago

I've got this neighbor, who has lived across me since I was 9. She has been a real pain in the butt since day one. We had a puppy when we moved in, and I was outside playing with it. It nipped me, so I tapped it on the nose and said no, as my parents had instructed. She happened to be outside when this happened and she FLIPPED on me (remember, I was 9) and told me you never ever, ever, ever, EVER!! With a bunch of swears and "You little brat"'s thrown in there, as well. Thus begun the days of some very bad blood between us.

Unfortunately, she has a high deck coming off her second level, we have a low deck off our first level. She can see right into my yard, and in my house. And she stands there and watches us most of the time. She's also got two very, very annoying dogs.

When we got our beagle, we also bought a tie out to try and teach her to go in one spot (we got a outdoor kennel not long after, which worked better much better)

But while we were using the tie out one day when she was about 5 months old, I had to run inside after she had done her business. We had been out for maybe 5 minutes together, and she had been out alone for maybe 2 minutes, as I was going to come back out and play with her. It started to spit rain a little bit, and not even one minute after, I got a knock on the door by the neighbors 12 year old daughter, telling me her mom told her to tell me it's not good for puppies to be in the rain. This really irked me, but I didn't do anything rude or anything. I just said okay and shut the door. I was pretty ticked though because she had only been outside and it had just started to rain. Not to mention she sent a kid over to lecture me on how to raise my dog.

Fast forward to now. She has two very vocal dogs who are outside all the time (Even in the rain!) and they bark and bark and bark and I never do anything about it. Dogs bark, I know, it doesn't bug me, except at night.

My dogs never bark to come in, except big guy, he lets a small woof out, and waits, if he thinks he's been out too long. Little girl rarely barks period(maybe once a week, outside), except when playing. She'll bark if men walk by, or if another dog has been barking a lot, she'll let a woof out here and there. They're hardly out on their own except when I'm vacuuming or its really nice and they want to stay out and I have things to do, and even then it's for about 5 minutes cause they always want in right after I go in.

The other day, they started barking at something in the other neighbors trees(as were her two little buggers). I don't know what it was. But it took me about a flat 30 seconds to come out, and just as I went out, she came out just HOLLERING at my dogs to shut the F*** up and how they're stupid little mutts. And then telling me how they bark far too much and how we don't know what we're doing and don't deserve to have dogs.

Well I just don't know what to do. I didn't even look at her, I just usherd my furries inside and closed the blinds without saying anything to her(if you cant say anything nice, don't say anything at all!). My dogs listen, they're very well trained, we've never hit them, smacked them, starved, abused, abandoned them. They're never left outside alone for more than a few minutes for play. The beagle is obviously not suffering as she's got some weight to lose again. We're always outside playing with them, or walking them. We have a pool for them in summer, all sorts of gizmos and outside toys. I just don't see why she'd say that and I don't know what to do about her now.

I'm afraid to give my dogs commands infront of her now, and shes ALWAYS outside. She watches out her kitchen window when we're outside, or she'll come stand on her deck and watch, and wont go in til we go in. It really ruins all of our playtime and fun because we have to be super reserved. Little girl yelps and cries when she's chasing something or being chased, and I don't like to let her do it anymore outside, because I'm afraid the looney across the way will call animal control or something.

I guess she's been a hassle for our other neighbors with pets, too. And kids. I guess she's told a few people how to raise their kids, as well. And when she isn't watching us, she's peering into others yards, watching and waiting for something to complain about.

What would you do?? I'm at my wits end with her. I can't stand the spying, and the watching. I can't stand the way over-blown criticism and how she makes us out to be horrible pet owners. She's delusional. If anything we aren't strict enough with them. I can only keep my mouth sealed for so long before I snap back at her, and I really don't think thats the answer.

Comments (27)