SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

my bonded pair now hate each other! long sorry

loralee_2007
16 years ago

I was previously involved with an online pet rescue organization. 2 years ago, one of our members (who is involved in her local pet rescue), posted about 2 adorable stray male/female bonded 3 month old kittens hoping someone had room to adopt them together. She was in the deep south, and as fate would have it, it was 4 months before Katrina hit.

Needless to say, we had just lost our adopted stray cat to complications from Feline Leukemia just 2 weeks before, and I agreed to take them since we had room, and the love to care for them properly.

Growing up, they have always been very loving to each other and I have TONS of pictures of them cuddling and canoodling each other. They even won a "cutest pet" contest for one of their pictures lol. As babies they would fight & wrestle like all other normal kittens, but now here is the problem.

My male has grown to an enormous 20lbs (and it's not fat, he's extremely large & muscular), while our female is only 9 lbs. Our female no longer wants to "wrestle" with him because he just bulldozes her, but it's gotten to the point that she is TERRIFIED of him. If they so much as pass each other on the stairs, it's full hissing, spitting and howling from my female - she wants absolutely NOTHING to do with him!

As some background, we moved in March because we were tearing our house down and it took 6 months to build our new one. This behavior started about 5 months after we moved, seemed to settle down once we moved back, but now they are right back at each other again and have been for over a month!

As for personalities, they are black and white opposites even though brother/sister. My male doesn't like any humans at all except me, and he's scared of his own shadow, so I do baby him a bit. Our female, is just a social butterfly and seems to feel everybody loves her - especially if you are male!!

They are both spay/neutered, fully up to date on shots, indoor kitties. It really is breaking my heart to see our dainty little girl so terrified she won't even play with her toys because he'll just bulldoze in and steal them from her. She acts just miserable when he is around. DH & I both work full time so I don't know if something happened one day while we were at work, but I'm totally at a loss what to do here.

They are coming on 3 years as of next March, so any pecking order issues should have been worked out by now. Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? This is really a new one for me, and I've been owned by cats my whole 36 years.

Thanks for reading this.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths