SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome_gw

Open Shelving... Love/Hate Relationship

makeithome
13 years ago

Hi everyone!

I am full of questions today.

Last night, hubby and I hung our Norrtorp Ikea shelves over our microwave/coffee-maker area. I love how they look and how I'll get added storage space. However, after putting some glasses and accessories on the shelves, I realized I am going to have to take a very planned approach to putting things there.

Since this kitchen is less than ideal (we are putting about $1200 into it now, and this will have to hold us over until we can do a full blown reno) I am trying to choose elements that inspire me to cook and remind me of kitchens that I loved growing up:

open shelves

magnetic knife strip with knives displayed on the wall

Cookbooks out in the open

Live plants in sunny windows

An apron hanging on the wall

Wall art

Spices displayed in plain view

A large crock of cookware sitting on the counter

All of these things have special significance to me and they all hark back to kitchens that were important to me growing up: My mom's kitchen, my gram's kitchen, and the kitchen I worked in at the little town grocery store for 4 years.

But... how do I take all these elements and organize them in such a way that it *doesn't* feel like clutter? I wouldn't call myself a minimalist by any means... but I don't like chaos either.

I will try to take pictures tonight of where our kitchen currently stands, but if you have any thoughts on how I an organize some of these various elements to make them look more cohesive, I would love your ideas!

Comments (20)