SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinkkpearls

Roses & My Love - Hate relationship for them...

pinkkpearls
8 years ago

I absolutely adore roses, who doesn't. I was having a gay old time until they all started turning brown and losing leaves. I was told I'm watering too much, not enough, not fertilizing enough, don't use fertilizer. I realize I have no idea what I am doing anymore and am just at a loss. I was trying to observe the roses to see when to water, when to fertilize and I guess I was doing that wrong. I did down like 5 inches and it's hard and dry, I'd assume that means water. However, I got hit with the maybe its not draining. I was also told maybe my roses are sitting in water bc of my soil. I have clay in z8b, I dug down 2 feet or more and wide and added tons of compost and even ground up the hard clay into more of a fine clay, so I thought it drained well. How do I know if my roses are sitting in water under the surface??? I am just so frustrated bc I want to grow roses, but can't seem to get when to feed, when to water, how much to water, etc.

Figuring it out for myself has not worked too well, I might let them die and call it a day.

I have:

Betty White

Apricot Candy

Intrigue

Tiffany

Sterling Silver

Fiji

The Shepherdess

Blue Rhapsody

2 Don Juan (1 has issues)

2 Knockouts (no problems)

Iceberg Standard