SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Late winter, early spring mantle using what I had on hand

My3dogs ME zone 5A
15 years ago

Since we're due to get up to 16" of snow today through tomorrow, I'm not feeling all that spring-like. :-)

This mantle arrangement has just 4 colors, ivory, black, green and gold. This look isn't for everyone, as it's 'lighter' than my winter mantle, but quite subdued.

I wanted to use my eBay silk shades (4 for $11 including shipping!), so I made the lamps from old English barley twist candlesticks. On either side of the old clock are brass English candlesticks, and on top of the clock are old miniature English beehive candlesticks. All candlesticks are from eBay. The mirror is from Craigslist, and my guess is it's 30s - 40s. I wish the irregularities in the glass that I love would show up in pics.

I left my winter mantle cache pots in the mix. More spring-like flowers may come later, but colors will be limited.

Green silk hydrangea heads lightly sprayed with Glossy Wood Tone spray make them look dried. I had some sheer ribbon in green and in gold, so tied some at the base of the hydrangeas at the top of the mirror.

The antique plates are from a local antique shop and were marked down to $3.75 each! They are Mason's Ironstone, with a mark that puts them around 1891. Having a 100+ year oak tree next to my house, I love the oak and acorn border on the plates. I DON'T like to rake the millions of each that my trees produce each fall, though!

I found that the plates without a transferware design on them are called their 'Oak' pattern in 'cream'. The print on the 2nd plate pic below is their 'Vista' pattern, but I haven't been able to find the pattern on the other. And, even on Replacements LTD, I can't find these plates with the black transfer. Darn!

Comments (25)