SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

LR Paint Color & Decor Help

kimberlyrkb
16 years ago

Hi All!

We moved into a new house in October and just last week got new furniture for our living room: a sofa and loveseat. The furniture is sort of a light mocha color, the pillows are dark brown with greens, yellow and coral pattern. The lamps, cabinet in the back corner and the ladder are black. All other wood is med-darker brown.

We're trying to figure out what color to paint the walls. I'm thinking a yellow (EK Honeysuckle) or a green (BM Guilford Green or Soft Fern or SW/MS Sung). I like the yellow because I think it would help brighten things up; and I like the green because it would be fitting for our house in the woods. I can't decide which might look better. Is there enough contrast with either one to look good with the furniture?

The room usually feels dark, unless it's a bright day, which doesn't happen often - we don't get much natural light due to being in the woods. The large window at the end of the room faces west, with the other 2 windows facing south. There is only one north facing window. The wood ceiling makes it feel a bit darker than it might otherwise.

We're still figuring out room arrangements and decor, so if anyone has ideas there, that would be helpful, too. The mirror over the fireplace is there for art sizing purposes only - the mirror directly reflects the ceiling so we're not keeping it there. We plan to get a rug for in front of the soafa when we find the right one. We're just trying out the ladder, it doesn't have to stay. I have an old black/brown humped trunk that could go there, too, with artwork over it. We're probably going to put a tall plant and some artwork behind the loveseat. The black cabinet in the back corner we're still playing with - I think we'll put a lamp and something colorful on top, and keep the door open to display family photos and whatever else strikes us. Not sure what to do about the front lamp blocking the view. New lampshades?

We've played with all sorts of furniture arrangements, but it's been hard to come up with something that doesn't block the big window. The arrangement in the photos works best so far.

I would appreciate any paint or other suggestions you might have. And by the way, if this room looks familiar at all, I did post it a couple of months ago, but we have since gotten the new furniture - we just couldn't make our old stuff work for us.

Thanks so much!!

Kimberly

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)