SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsmith1_gw

Help me decide what to do first!

bsmith1
11 years ago

Since y'all were so helpful in my "keep the pocket doors or my sanity" thread, I thought I'd ask about 17 kajillion other questions. :)

I am putting in an offer on a house tomorrow. I've been looking at pictures of it since last summer, and have visited twice for showings in the last 2 weeks. I already have a laundry list of updates/personalizations to make, but I am really not sure where to start.

The main floor has some hardwood areas (foyer, kitchen, breakfast, hallway, powder) and some carpeted areas (living/family/dining). We know we want hardwood on the entire floor, and that we don't care for the color of the current hardwood. I've heard that refinishing is uber dusty and messy, and it's best to not be in the home while it's getting done, so we figured we'd have that done between closing and move in.

However, I'm also making some other changes that will affect the floor. One is closing up one half of a set of 2 pocket doors. Also, between the breakfast and family rooms there is currently one doorway and one square "picture" opening. I plan to knock out the picture opening and make it all one big open space with a square or arched opening.

So that's two sets of projects to tackle pre-move in. But wait! There's more!

I assume the areas going from carpet to hardwood will have baseboards removed and reinstalled. I'm not sure whether it's standard to reuse the same baseboards or not. If not, I'd rather put in much beefier baseboards on the whole floor.

Also, I want to paint the existing kitchen cabinets a white/cream color. Would it be easiest to do this before the floors are done?

Last but not least, we have decided to keep the upstairs carpeted. The current carpet is in good shape, but it's kind of a pinky beige. In photos, it looks VERY pink/flesh toned. I'd much prefer to put in a calmer, cleaner looking cream/taupe/gray carpet. I know HD/Lowe's offer free or $99 whole house carpet installation. I also know there's a big asterisk with "basic install only" next to it. Would it be much cheaper to have carpet installed without having the installers move furniture?

I'm a bit overwhelmed. Buying a new house, moving, updating is exciting but dang stressful! Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Comments (9)