SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Steak Tartare - yes or no?

caliloo
16 years ago

I had bought a whole beef tenderloin for Christmas dinner. After trimming and cutting it into steaks, I have quite a bit left over in the freezer that won't make pretty steaks.

I am having a small party tomorrow night and have been toying with the idea of making Steak Tartare with the bits and pieces, but I don't know how it will be received. I like Steak Tartare, but haven't seen it served since the Mad Cow problems a few years ago and I am wondering if it would be well received or am I "wasting" the meat and I should just plant to make Stroganoff or kabobs for the family at a later date instead.....

The recipe I am thinking of is pretty straight forward and I would serving it with toast points.

Classic Steak Tartare

TIME/SERVINGS

Total: 5 mins

Active: 5 mins

Makes: 4 servings

The Polo Lounge

Steak tartare is usually associated with both Parisian bistros and the Tartars who gave the dish its name, but it goes well beyond that. If you are able to get your hands on top-quality beef, this is a great way to serve it. Try it over a bed of mesclun or served with toast points or french fries as they do at the Polo Lounge.

What to buy: Because you will be serving the meat raw, be sure to buy it from a reputable source, and tell your butcher that you will be preparing it as tartare so he or she gives you the best cut.

Use pasteurized or very fresh eggs from a reputable source.

Game plan: Keep the beef covered and refrigerated until you are ready to use it.

This recipe was featured in our 2007 no-cook story.

INGREDIENTS

3 medium oil-packed anchovy fillets (optional, adjust salt if added), rinsed and minced

2 teaspoons brined capers, drained and rinsed

3 teaspoons Dijon mustard

2 large egg yolks

10 ounces USDA prime beef tenderloin, cut into small dice, covered, and refrigerated

2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion

2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley leaves

4 teaspoons olive oil

3 dashes hot sauce (such as Tabasco)

4 dashes Worcestershire sauce

3/4 teaspoon crushed chile flakes (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine anchovies (if using), capers, and mustard in a nonreactive bowl. Using a fork or the back of a spoon, mash ingredients until evenly combined; mix in egg yolks.

Use a rubber spatula to fold remaining ingredients into mustard mixture until thoroughly combined. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately with toast points or french fries.

Comments (27)