SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debndulcy

master bdrm color/and selling..HELP!

debndulcy
13 years ago

I'm in the home stretch of prep'ing my house for market .. and stuck on a master bedrm paint color. Any advice - or info on how to make the decision - would be MUCH appreciated..

House is colonial/col/french blue exterior, with bluish taupe doors and shutters, d gray gutters and roof. Living rm and hall, thru upstairs are 'crepe de chine' (Behr) yellow (just a touch of yellow to draw light, as house is shaded on that side). Dining rm to kitchen, peach tones (love to go w/one of these new pumpkin colors if I had time.. I have light maple cabinets..)..

Upstairs, 1 bedrm is Soft Fern (BM) which I LOVE!, other is a moonglow yellow I mixed myself. The hall bath has 'adobe' or bisque (original) colored tile/light bl/gr paint above it. MASTER BDRM is large with its own bath, which has original light yellow tile w/black band on top....

I started with a lt/med taupe (self-mix), which, though soft/relaxing, did not 'feel' right with the yellow tile -- I have red mahogany bdrm furniture - - for selling purposes, I'm concerned the 'taupe' doesn't fit well (isn't it a color 'not complimentary to many?)... Now looking at blues and Behr has a Pewter Blue which may work nicely, if just a touch lighter.... but real estate agent told me 'blues are very personal' and may be good to avoid.

I live in a first-ring suburb of a large city, - and mine would be a first-time home - or post-empty nest buyer,

Taupe, tans, blues... I've read/tried too much on how to make the decision, and need expert/experienced input. I want the color to fit into a palette... and flow, as can, from room to room.

THANK YOU for any, all advise... I now need t make a decision quickly.

D.

Comments (26)

• User
    13 years ago

In my opinion, and I'm a Realtor ;c) any color can be personal and blue if done well can be a very pleasing color. I can totally understand your Realtor's point in wanting to stay more neutral but at the same time, I can understand your perspective for wanting to offer good flow from room to room as well as a little interest maybe?

Gray is a calming neutral and it has many shades that have a nice blue undertone to them. They turn blue once up but the gray calms the color so they're not too strong. When I did a search for Pewter on Behr.com several colors came up so I'm not sure which Pewter in specific you're talking about. However one thing I've noticed about the Behr paint colors in general is they tend to be more bright or even stark than other brands and to me, that doesn't help their colors at all. Sherwin Williams for example tends to have what I'd describe as a more toned palette. There are several gray blues in the SW line that people here in the forum have used (including myself). They're beautiful and colors that would appeal to a wider audience. You may want to take a look at the SW grays to find a shade that's more neutral. If you prefer Behr paint, you can always have the color matched. Right?

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

If it works well, I'd continue with the neutral cream that you have in the downstairs, keeping the fern green that you love in the one bedroom. As long as it doesn't have a lot of yellow, it will be neutral and flexible for new buyers, cheerful, light and airy, and the added warm light you describe will be very appealing.

Blues (colors generally) are beautiful but a tough sell on a personal level. The glaring need to repaint is not appealing and makes it hard to visualize the house differently. New buyers will probably want to change the cream too but it will be neutral for move-in and the house will feel warm and flow nicely and cohesively for the sell.

• Related Discussions

My almost finished master bdrm (lots of pics..)

Q

Comments (24)
    They are 41" wide. I decided on two because I wanted the flexibilty to have them just hang on each side of the window if I got tired of having them pulled to one side. As for what is holding them there....I'm ashamed to admit what I'm using. The salesperson at JCP showed me this cool, inconspicuous hook that is made just for tiebacks. They were out of them and haven't come in yet. I checked Target, BB and Beyond, Home Depot and Lowes but only found those "c" shaped cupholder hooks. I would have needed a pretty big size to hold the tiebacks as the cording is thick. So....I used Command Strips. If you notice them they look terrible, but I just couldn't wait any longer to get the drapes up. To make it worse we only had two large ones so I have two on two of the windows. Don't tell anyone.....
    ...See More

Master bdrm and bath same paint color according to hgtv...?

Q

Comments (10)
    Nope, no hard-and-fast rule. Even tho I've already admitted that I have trouble picking paint colors, I know that during one of my early bedroom paint jobs, I chose a lavender hue -- not deep, but clearly lavender. I would not have that in the bathroom -- just not flattering combined with my lighting. And some people who have green bedrooms would probably not want green in the bathroom--casts a weird light on your face. My recent bedroom/bath job: The bath was the very lightest shade on a blue paint chip that was a few strips away from the bedroom paint color. I'm not digging the bedroom color very much, but I do like the bathroom color.
    ...See More

Paint color for Master Bedrm

Q

Comments (4)
    Much of my home is painted in SW Macadamia, including my MB, and master bath at 50%. It's not too dark and not at all yellow. It goes with everything and we love it.
    ...See More

spin off--how about a wall clock for mstr bdrm?

Q

Comments (30)
    "....we live next to a large waterfall" !!! Now that's what I'd love to see: something Ca. suburbanites cannot begin to imagine. I love the pics of 3dogs home with it's "a river runs through it" front lawn. Now here you are with a waterfall! (Horses too, at one time? Sigh!) Any pics you'd like to share?....(please):>) As for the clocks: love the ones shown here, and agree it's not a bit odd...whatever you choose. As for feng shui, I'm not a big believer. For example, I think the foot of the bed is not allowed to face the bedroom door. When my bed is dressed in it's prettiest finery I am sorry my room won't allow me to see it front on as I enter the room. Unless there's a beautiful view, the nicely made bed is usually the nicest thing to see in the bedroom.
    ...See More
  • dianalo
    13 years ago

As another realtor, I'd say use the yellow tile as a jumping off point and go a shade lighter for your paint. Pale yellow is a nice neutral and works with warm or cool tones.

A light gray/blue or gray/green would also be a good choice. Use a hint of color. Try Quiet Moments for something like that.

• teacats
    13 years ago

A vote to paint the master bedroom in the same color tones as the master bathroom -- OR maybe go a few shades lighter for the bedroom.

This choice will help both rooms appear to be a "suite"

Be sure to add a few black touches (lamps, photo or artworks etc.) in the master bedroom -- again -- to work with the colors in the master bathroom.

• nlmorejon
    13 years ago

Last year I was also staging my home. After I took down the wall paper in the master bedroom, I couldn't decide what to paint the walls. After much research on the internet, I found a realtor who said that he always sold homes faster when they were painted "Monroe Bisque" by Benjamin Moore. So I decided to try it. It was a nice color, but not one I would have chosen for myself. My house sold in under two months. Now I'm in my new house and painting my new master bedroom - but not in Monroe Bisque. Instead I've chosen Harvester by Sherwin Williams and I love it.

• User
    13 years ago

I've seen lots of houses with appealing blues and they've had no problem selling. Believe it or not a lot of people dread having to paint over that boring tan just as much as any other color. I stick with my thoughts that if you can find a soft soothing color it can work out very well.

• Sujafr
    13 years ago

I realize we all have our favorites, but the thought of buying a home with pumpkin and peach in the dining room and kitchen--while wonderful to you and possibly many others--would certainly cause me to pause.

If your realtor is telling you to go more neutral, that may be a subtle way of letting you know that you have too much going on to be well-received by most people, even though it may be wonderful to your eyes. I'm a former Realtor, and neutral throughout makes a home seem warmer than a stark builder white, but also is usually inoffensive. Then a few accessories in some touches of colors will brighten things up. Above all, clean, clean again, and declutter.

• kimberlyrkb
    13 years ago

You know, this idea of choosing just the right colors in an effort to sell always gives me pause. I have been lucky enough to have sold three houses in the last 6 years; 2 sold in less than 2 weeks and the third sold in 5 weeks. These were all in Michigan, where the real estate market has been tough for a while now.

None of them was done in traditional neutrals. In fact, the one we thought would be hardest to sell had EK Honeysuckle in the kitchen/dining, EK Violet in master bed/bath (!), red in the attached porch, a green in the living room and a dark slate blue in our large walkout basement. It might sound a tad too colorful and not very flowing to some, but when people looked at the colors, they always commented that they wished they could choose color and complimented our house. And believe me they had no idea how much time I spent in this forum, in angst over paint color, sure that I had chosen all wrong. That house sold in 7 days in 2007, and we had multiple offers and ended up getting more than it was appraised for. I'm not saying our paint colors caused all that to happen, because lots of factors came together to make it all work out in our favor, but our paint colors did not detract buyers in the least. (And I happen to know the new owners did not repaint.)

Anyway, I guess my point is that don't worry about choosing just the right color because I don't think there is such a thing. Choose something nice that will work with the other things in the room and flow with the house. (Personally, I would take your cue from your master bath and choose a soft yellow.) Otherwise make sure your house is clean, cabinets and closets are tidy, whittle accessories, remove excess family photos and call it good! Oh, and put out a few fresh flowers. :)

Good luck!

• User
    13 years ago

Hey Kimberly! That is great that you've been able to sell like that. I'm in Michigan too and you are so right, the market is very tough here.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

I have never understood the impulse to use a cream-oriented color when repainting the interior of a home to be more "neutral".

I personally HATE yellow or anything that looks like yellow. And I don't personally think that anything that has any yellow in it is neutral.

I would definitely stay on the other side of neutral...i.e. tan, beiges, etc.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I think she's only doing the upstairs area. There's a light yellow tile in the master that she's trying to work with. Lower level and stairs are already cream.

Love creams and beiges. Don't understand the aversion to whites. I prefer whites but can still appreciate colored walls. Maybe a regional thing. Most of what I've seen used in people's homes around here is whites. It's light-filled and a nice backdrop for art and other furnishings.

For selling, the whites are more universally appealing than a specific color would be and are move-in ready even if someone plans to paint over at some point (to bring in more color or to get rid of a certain tone that doesn't work for them). There's a reason for what people like to call builder beige.

• User
    13 years ago

Spring meadow, you're entitled to your opinion, but when done well color can offer a wow factor and there are lots of colors beside white and tan that can appeal to the masses. I'm in and out of houses all the time and see it every day.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

You're right. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are yours. Don't know what the problem is.

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

My house is on the market and it's painted in pale yellow for the living area, hall, kitchen and dining room, silver sage in the bath and laundry room and beige in the bedrooms. My realtor almost danced with excitement when she saw I didn't paint everything beige, green or white. She said those colors are overused and home buyers are looking for more colors. Like she said neutral does not mean beige or white. She went on to say she was certain a new homeowner would not need to rush to paint since I already gave the house some style. Neutrals like blue, yellow, blue greens, gray blues, and others, are all nice backdrops for so many different furnishings, rugs, etc. The key is no to use a screaming hue.

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

Sorry, I meant "not to use"

• pps7
    13 years ago

When we put our house on the market, we left the paint colors as is-just touched it up a bit. I would paint it whatever color best showcases the home.

We had many dark rich hues: all BM:

hot apple spice
    nantucket gray
    nantucket fog
    normandy
    hamshire gray

The rest of the house was a neutral beige, including the basement. No one complained about the colors. I would never buy or not buy a house based on paint color-it's one of the easiest things to change.

• debndulcy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so grateful for the advice and comment... It's really helpful!

I'm trying to find a master bedroom/suite color which fits the whole house 'palette,' (I've got an 'autumn' color-set, neutral or a small step toward mid-range), and coordinates with lt yellow bath tile (and its black stripe). My other bedrms/2nd floor, are soft fern, and moonglow, so I wanted a color that balanced/worked with them, for slow/complementarity.

Houses in my neighborhood have sold in today's popular decorating colors (eg, 'pumpkin' kitchens, or Pottery Barn colors) , a swell as neutrals, which from what I know from buyers, they look forward to changing (as I did when I moved here.. the ugliest antique white I've ever seen).

I'm trying to come up with paint color for the master/suite. I've tried a taupe - great color - but coor w/the bathrm yellow doesn't seem to work well. So, I see my choices as being a tan or blue w/some grey in it.

I have looked at Quiet Moments :), love it, as I do Harveser (SW), an will look up Monroe Bisque. The

In the end, from what you say.. something good and clean and well-decorated (basically, color-wise, whatever that may be, as an individual case) - is the best I can do. So many of those tan/beige colors just aren't a color I'd want to sleep in.. and there's the question, etc, of which tans/beiges look/feel good to the majority.

Thank you, thank you... your comments have been very helpful, as would any additional advice.

D.

• gmp3
    13 years ago

I agree with pulling some of the yellow from the bath tile, a warm yellow cream maybe and agree the touches of black will unify. Do you have a pic of the tile? Yellow is tricky.

Interesting comments here I am really glad Realtors chimed in too. We are considering selling and I think I'll only repaint the living dining area, but was worried as I have lots of color elsewhere.

• User
    13 years ago

If you're looking for specific color suggestions you'll need to post photo so we can see the colors you're referring to. gmp3 is right, yellow can be tricky.

gmp3 - I would contact a local Realtor who is familiar with your specific neighborhood and make sure that the other colors in your home will work with the demographic you're in. Based on my own experience I believe that as long as the colors used are light and complimentary to the space you should not have a problem selling.

• debndulcy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Indeed, yellow is tricky, and if it weren't for coordinating with the (1950's tile) bathroom, I'd have this done :) My other bedroom is a yellow/'moonglow' color I mixed. My first choice was a tan/taupe (went well with red mahogany furniture, complimented by some turquoise in wall hangings.. but couldn't find something to would work with it in the bathroom (since read most taupes and yellow don't mix, and want to work a shade of what's in the bedroom in there.

As 'kimberly' describes, I've 'angst' with choices throughout, and had compliments so far. I expect all to fit together, and 'not finding this last piece. I don't think anything I've chosen will detract any buyers.. as, from outside in, all is in kind of natural, fresh tones (I have beautiful gardens surrounding).

"Complimentary to the space," lukkiirish, I believe is the key. What will go/show well w/red mahogany, coordinate w/yellow tile in bathroom, and 'mix' with the other yellow/green bedrooms? Pewter Tray (blue gray) (or maybe Quiet Moments) seems to work in the bathroom (maybe a shade lighter)... Oy, and today is d(eadline)-day.

• mykingcomforter
    13 years ago

I would go with a neutral color on the walls. Personally I would choose bennington gray HC-82 Benjamin Moore. Even though the word gray is in the name, it is actually a darker tan. It goes with everything, and really accents the trim. I have used this color in many model homes, and I can't tell you how many people LOVE IT!! That is what you should be looking for, that the majority of people will like it when selling a home. Good luck to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: MyFavoriteBedding

• debndulcy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't laugh, but Bennington Gray is a great color - almost exactly what I first mixed (a taupe-color) and in there now - but still got to find/work something into the bath w/yellow tile... looking at the BM color deck.. maybe Pittsfield Buff...

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

This comes up over and over but I just don't get it. Why on earth would someone not buy a home because of an interior paint color? With such a huge purchase, is that really a deterrent for people - paint? If the outside was a screaming color, I'd understand but a room? Really? What about room sizes, condition of the property, floor plan, neighborhood, schools...... and people walk out because of paint? I guess I have a lot to learn and in a short time since we'll also be joining the ranks of listings in the near-ish future. And I'm certain I'll be asking for help!

• debndulcy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dlm -

My move's been in the works for a while, so I've read way too much about what might encourage a sale, or not (including the House Selling/Buying forum here; this was my first time in Home Dec.). The basics will (or perhaps, should) be the same - those you mention - emphasis starting with - clean, clutter-free, and showing the property's been cared for (or not).

I didn't want to choose a color for a large important room, that would turn anyone off - give them a reason to say 'no' to my place as opposed to another. After angst that I'd make a mistake, I was grateful that the forums comments/advice confirmed that I was on the right track (for this house and bigger picture).

I went to Open Houses to get a feel for being on the other side... and my biggest 'decorating' reaction was that unless something was going to be way more costly/work to change for my taste and use, paint colors didn't matter... they can help someone to see the size of a space better. Then again, there were times there was a special feature I would have liked, that changed the balance.. or a price.. would have me overlook other stuff..

Again, I'm grateful for all of the advice and comment, and a 'forum' for such questions/info.

Best of luck to you as you move toward putting your place on the market... sounds like you're on the right track :)

• lynxe
    13 years ago

My advice is to post some pictures here, including one of the bathroom. It's too hard to visualize just by looking at the names of paint colors. With a few shots of some rooms, you have a higher chance of getting advice that's relevant to your own situation -- versus painting to sell in general.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

A note in favor of flow over 'neutral': our house was originally painted in loads of different colors, all consulted upon by Gretchen Schauffler herself, and mentioned prominently in the RE ad as "designer-chosen paint scheme". It was a *selling* point. And it was *not* at all usual -- planes were painted, not 'rooms'. So if a room wrapped into a hallway, it was quite possible that that plane might be painted one color, and the opposite wall of the same room another color. We got it by making a full-price offer within about 2 hours of it going up, but there were multiple offers on *Christmas week*. No one minded the blood-red huge 'accent wall' and the half blue, half off-white bedroom.

I think if you paint it beautifully, people will get it and know the good energy in the house. That's if it's *beautiful* and not just loads of colors.

We had one realtor once who said that there would be *no way* that she could sell our house with our four-year-old daughter's bed next to ours in our huge master (there was plenty of room). She said that our DD had to move to her own room sometime, so it might as well be now. Um, no.

We sold it with multiple offers during the July 4 weekend.

Realtors are often in touch with what sells the most, and the neutral look definitely sells a lot. But not everything has to be neutral to sell. That's a logical fallacy.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm