SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Update: adopted dog with separation anxiety

alisande
16 years ago

I thought I'd give you an update on my friend's dog. We discussed his situation in this thread.

My friend bought a crate and read up on the training process. But I don't think he was very consistent with the training, and it didn't seem to matter (to him) because he works mostly at home and had no occasion to leave the house for a week or so. When he did leave for the first time after that period, his brother was visiting. Mikey was put in his crate, my friend left, and the brother went to take a shower. When he came out of the bathroom, he found Mikey out of the crate and the crate door still latched.

I meant to mention that the vet had sold him D.A.P. Â pheromones said to have a calming effect on anxious dogs. The diffuser was pumping out pheromones at the time Mikey escaped from his crate.

The next day my friend and his brother went out. When they came back, Mikey was once again out of his crate. I'm guessing something was amiss with the crate assembly.

Anyway, today they didn't bother putting him in the crate. They were gone three hours, and at some point Mikey peed by the front door. He hasn't done anything destructive, though.

The most important part of my update is that my friend is totally in love with Mikey. I don't blame him...I got to meet him last week, and he's a big, beautiful sweetheart. Very much attached to his new person. While I was there Mikey slept on the floor with his head on my friend's foot. Awww....

Susan

Comments (4)