SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrelspur

What makes a pet adoptable?

squirrelspur
15 years ago

Ok rescue experts or anyone who has good advice.

I posted on another thread re a stray dog dumped around our house and how we are working with rescue to get him adopted. He is 8 mos. old male lab mix, very playful, good disposition, got him his basic shots.

What can I do to make him more adoptable? We are working with him on his #1 bad habit, which is jumping up on people. What we do is push him down with our hand or hold our hand above him when he jumps up, so he hits our hand, along with saying "no". Any other ideas on stopping this habit? I could see this scaring off children.

He's very good at playing and not aggressive if you take the toy away from him, etc.

Unfortunately, we can't let him be a house dog with 1 dog already inside and 4 cats (small house, hostile cats), so he won't necessarily be house-trained. But he is very smart and I think he would learn quickly.

He doesn't chase the cats outside - we have one cat who is afraid of nothing and has bopped him on the nose if he gets too close when he is just being curious and he is respectful of that and backs off, with no aggression or further attempts at contact.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments (8)