SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
namabafo

Not sure if I like my new dining room color

namabafo
16 years ago

I just painted my dining room SW Escape Grey. I chose it as it is a deeper color on the same strip as my family room--Conservative Grey.

The paint guy manually tinted the primer to Escape--as I was covering red. The primer was fantastic and covered beautifully and I was in love with the color. Then I painted a coat of the satin wall paint and it is a shade or two darker than the primer and I'm not sure I like it as much as the primer color!

The amount of colorant is different on the label--but I assumed that was because the formulation of primer v. paint was different. Now I just think it was a lower percentage in the primer.

During the day, it is ok, if a bit darker than I wanted--at night it just seems to suck up all the light in the room. Which may be because my light fixture is too small--I like it, but it was a quick replacement when we moved in 4 yrs ago becasue I hated the PO's chrome and crystal thing.

It's funny how the paint looks a bit bluish sometimes as there is only green black and gold as colorants. And the lighter Conservative Grey reads as almost a willowy greenish yellow in the adjacent room.

I've got a few pics---please excuse all the furniture/dust/debris--I'm not done touching up a few "holidays" and I need to poly the wood trim before everything goes back. (plus you can see the furniture from my "Letting Go" thread)

I'd love advice about color--should I go lighter? Should I just replace the light with a larger fixture? The woodwork is clear pine with a light Minwax Cherry stain--the poly will be satin. The table, chairs and curved glass china are staying... Oh, I also need to think about window treatment. It's fairly private--but if the neighbors are in their pool--they could see in here at night--besides I don't like the "big black hole" at night look, but I never know how to treat a bow window...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Previous owner's decor--showing the chandy and the wall paper and the RED wall to wall.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)