SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Nailing A Prime Rib

John Liu
11 years ago

I haven't been too into cooking lately, but at this time of year, there is no alternative, so I've been getting by with simple and familiar meals, not much new or different.

Today, though, necessity and improvisation combined in the prime rib roast you see here.

SWMBO bought an 11 lb fresh prime rib roast a couple of days ago and put it in the small basement refrigerator. I guess the roast was pressed up against the small freezer compartment, because it became frozen. We discovered that at 11:45 am today, before a 4:00 pm Christmas dinner.

Uh-oh. The roast went in the oven, fingers were crossed. 90 minutes later, my remote probe thermometer in the roast interior still read 30F. Clearly this wasn't going to produce an edible prime rib by 4:00 pm. I pulled the roast out, intending to saw it into pieces. But as a last check, I temped different locations with my thermometer and realized that only one half of the roast had frozen. That half was 30 F internal, the other had risen to 70 F.

Ah-ha. Maybe this could be salvaged. I went to the garage and got a handful of 4" nails, cleaned them, and pushed them deep into the meat of the frozen half, leaving an inch of each nail exposed. The unfrozen half got covered in foil. Basted with melted butter, the roast went back in the oven.

The nails conducted heat into the frozen core of the meat, speeding up cooking of that half of the roast. The foil shielded the unfrozen end from heat, slowing down the cooking of that half. By 3:45 pm, both halves had reached 110 F together. We sat down just 15 minutes late. The roast was great, if you like rare prime rib, which is always what I aim for.

Nothing much else to report on the cooking front. Had a big crab feed Christmas Eve. Lots of good wine. Someone brought over an oat whiskey, someone else a Japanese barley wine.

Yes, I'm sure it isn't healthy to regularly eat meat that's been perforated with galvanized carpentry nails. Doing it once in a lifetime has got to be fine.

Comments (13)