SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Is it cruel to separate these dogs?

newhomeseeker
12 years ago

I adopted two dogs from a shelter about 2 months ago. They are rat terriers- one is 4 and one is 2 years old. They were surrended by their owner who had them since they were puppies because- get this- they shed too much!! They were very scared at the shelter and afraid of everyone. I saw them online and even though I haven't had dogs for years (I have six cats though) I went to see them- bad idea. I fell in love with the larger one who is two years old. The minature one (4 years) really didn't take to me at first.

Now two months later they seem to like their new home. they get to sleep on the bed at night and get to go for walks. They LOVE people and don't ever want you out of their sight. I was told they were house trained (they were NOT) and that they were very attached to eachother. THey do play a few times a week but the bigger one seems to boss the little one around alot and the bigger one is very puppy like and jumps on everyone and always wants to lick you in the face. She also chases my cats (I was told they get along fine with cats) which I can't stand.

I know I should give her more time but I have a friend who adores this dog and he has a rat terrier and 2 shelter dogs (all female) and he has expressed interest in adopting my dog if she is too much for me.

I know that part of her problem is she doesn't get a lot of exercise unless it is running around the house. We've had so much rain lately (think one nice day out of a month) that i can't take them for walks as they hate even going outside to use the bathroom in the rain.

the smaller dog (4 years old) seems more attached to people than her "sister". She is always sitting on my lap or anyone's lap that she likes. they both follow me around everywhere. the larger dog is always getting yelled or reprimanded because she is so hyper and I don't like being jumped on and scratched or licked to death. I feel bad for yelling at her so much and trying to correct her. She also urinates and poops in the house and doesn't let me know when she needs to go outside. I can take her outside and twenty minutes later she does her business in the house. This is frustrating and I work 8 hours a day and drive time is an hour so I'm not home much and they are in a crate while I'm at work.

This dog loves my friend who wants to adopt her. WHenever she sees him she throws herself at him and lays on his lap. She does seem to be attached to the smaller dog though. She will groom her and lick her face and they sometimes cuddle on the couch.

I would hate to separate them and I never thought I would be one to give a pet away(I have never given up any of my cats no matter what their problems or habits are) but I'm not sure I can handle this dog and she doesn't deserve to be treated like she is a nuisance. She can be calm and sweet and I give her a lot of attention when she is but when she is hyper bouncing off the walls, scratching everything up, peeing all over the place I get mad at her and avoid her. I also have to correct her all the time (I just take a newspaper and slam it on a table and say "NO" and she runs and hides behind the couch) when she chases my cats.

Should I #1 give the dogs some more time to adjust and maybe I will get used to her?

Should I #2 return them both to the shelter so they may be adopted into a new home together?

#3 give her to my friend who I know would give her a great home but this may cause problems with the other dog as they were raised together for the last two years?

Comments (14)