SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carterinms

Is an all day muzzle cruel? What would be better?

carterinms
16 years ago

I have an 11 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback who has never learned to chew, and likes to eat everything. 3 years ago she lost half of her intestines because of a lateral foreign body. The surgeon said it looked like a piece of carpet.

2 months ago she swallowed a beer bottle cap. And dirt, gravel, grass, and a plastic bag. (Remember the old lady who swallowed a fly?)

And now this past Sunday she had a third surgery to remove 6" of compacted dirt. Her intestines had also twisted but she was lucky that they were ok.

We are building a house while living on the property, so it has been difficult to get the workers to pick up their trash before they leave. We also have a lot of exposed dirt that the neighborhood stray cats are using (we think that's why she's eating dirt). DH has a wood working shop, so the dogs are shop dogs during the day, family pets/inside dogs at night.

I think that my best option is to muzzle her whenever she is outside. I have just started the research, but it sounds like a basket muzzle would be best. It just seems cruel to leave her muzzled all day.

Any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated - my computer is broken so I am posting this at work and won't be able to check responses until tomorrow.

-Erica

Comments (4)