SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dockside_gw

Pie Pumpkins like spaghetti squash - ick!

dockside_gw
15 years ago

I harvested 14 Sugar Pie Pumpkins this fall. The first one I baked for a couple of hours. It didn't get "mushy" when I mashed it but made o.k. pie filling (still could taste a little texture in it).

The second pumpkin was great and made great pumpkin pie.

The third one, which I baked for 3 plus hours on Wednesday for my Thanksgiving pies was just like spaghetti squash. Even in the food processor, it didn't turn to puree. It still tasted like it should have been baked longer.

Tonight I tried again. After 4 hours in a 350 oven, with the juices burning on the bottom of the cake pan, I cut it open and it also is exactly like spaghetti squash. I tried putting it through a sieve, but it still had a solid texture to it.

The only thing I can think of is that somehow some of the the seeds I bought were from being cross-bred (mistakenly) with spaghetti squash. I have ten left but I really don't feel like using all that oven energy to bake anymore if I have to throw them out.

Thank heavens I baked the "Thanksgiving" pumpkin early enough so that I could rush to the store to buy some canned pumpkin.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening, other than what I think?

I think I will write to the seed company and let them know how disappointed I am (Ed Hume out of Oregon).

Comments (6)