SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

Uh-oh! What have we done!

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

Jasper survived his first bath, but not happily! I was in bed last night and noticed that I was itching. I turned on the lights and realized that I had bug bites on myself. In about 10 places. As I looked over and saw Jasper scratching I realized that he must have fleas. I looked closely and found a few bite marks under his fur, but I didn't see any fleas. This morning was not very pleasant for either of us. I got some shampoo, a flea collar, and some insecticidal carpet powder. I couldn't find any flea shampoo for cats. They had regular shampoo for cats and flea shampoo for dogs. The dog shampoo read in big bold letters DO NOT USE ON CATS. If anyone knows why, I would appreciate some info on that. When I got home from the store, Jasper did his usual greeting. He rolled over playfully and started cooing and purring. Poor guy didn't suspect a thing. I haven't given him a bath in the almost year I've had him. Not even once! He never stinks (unless he gets a tuna treat on a rare occasion... yuck!) and he never goes outside (which is why I was surprised about the fleas). I wanted to see if I could wash some fleas off of him. I placed him in the bathtub and poured the shampoo on him. Then I poured some lukewarm water out of a cup onto him and made a nice lather. I massaged it in for about 3 minutes. He was NOT a happy kitty. He kept clawing at the side of the bathtub and making low growls. I had to hold him very firmly to keep him in the tub. I finally rinsed him off, and he HATED that. I think it reminded him of getting a blast from the spray bottle when he's up to no good. I towel dried him, didn't want to even attempt the blow drier. He gave me a dirty look like "how could you" and sulked off. He was actually kind of cute wet, and when he walked off he shook each leg before he took a step with it. Very funny. I wanted to take a picture of him like that, but he wouldn't let me get near him for an hour. I sprinkled the insecticidal carpet powder on the floor and left it for two hours. Also put it on the love seat and chair in the living room. Then vacuumed. I put the flea collar on him and he doesn't seem to mind it at all. I do have a question though. I've never used a flea collar before, and Jasper usually sleeps in bed with me. How toxic are they... need I take it off every night? I'll shave him bald before I forbid him to sleep in bed with me. Thanks!

Soft and fluffy after horrid bath!

Sportin' the flea collar!

BTW... I found 3 small dark specs in the tub after giving him a bath but couldn't tell what they were. I have yet to see a jumping flea... is that possible or did I go to all this trouble for nothing?

Comments (27)