SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistihayes

NuWave Oven

mistihayes
15 years ago

Purchased this NuWave oven & turns meat dry on outside while still be frozen in the center. Huge disappointment. Has anyone ever used it? I had high hopes as I'm not a good cook anymore.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to cook a rib eye roast for Christmas. Electric roaster, oven bag, any ideas? I want my Dad to be able to chew it & finally say I cooked something good. Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you think yours could be defective? I would call the company and/or check the manual. I have never used one but the infomercial almost had me grabbing the phone! The big selling point was being able to cook from frozen. Maybe try another roast that is fresh from the meat case.

Duane

• User
    15 years ago

Can't help you with the NuWave, but a Rib Eye Roast is a succulent piece of beef, and you don't want to cook it in an electric roaster or an oven bag. The perfect cut to roast rare to medium rare. You don't want to ruin it by over roasting it. Do you not have a regular oven?

There are a number of ways to cook a Prime rib or Rib Eye roast, my favourite is the high heat method. Perfect roast every time. And as a side you can't go wrong with Yorkshire Pudding, mashed or roasted potatoes.

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

High Heat cooking Instructions
    ==============================

General Instructions (for Barbara Kafka's "Roasting A Simple Art")
    "Different meats and different cuts have different cooking times. That's
    why there are recipes. I did try to find a universal rule so that I could
    say as I do for fish, "ten minutes per inch" or for chicken "ten minutes per
    pound," and then describe the exceptions. It didn't work. Timing is as
    much a factor of fat content, bone content, and the shape of the roast as a
    specific kind of meat.

The only easy rules are for boneless loin of pork or beef (the shell or
    strip) and venison and beef fillet. They always cook in the same amount of
    time since the only way they increase in size is according to their length,
    which will not influence the cooking time."

This is her recipe for a Simple Rib Roast

4 1/2 pound without short ribs Standing rib roast (2 Ribs) or 26 Pound
    standing rib roast (7 ribs total) 2 to 6 cloves garlic, peeled and slivered
    Kosher salt to taste Freshly ground black pepper 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups red
    wine for deglazing 1 recipe for Yorkshire pudding.

Roast should be at room temperature, not taken directly from the fridge.
    Place oven rack on the second level from the bottom. Heat oven to 500F.

Place small roast in a 14 X 12 X2 inch roasting pan. bone side down. The
    large roast will need an 18 X 13 X 2 inch roasting pan. Snuggle most of the
    garlic, is using, under the fat and spread remainder under the meat.
    Season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes. With meat in
    oven, reduce heat to 325° and roast for an additional 3 minutes per pound.(
    i.e.: 4lb =12minutes, 7lb = 21 minutes, 26 lb =78 minutes)
    etc..Increase heat to 450°F and roast for another 15 minutes regardless of
    size. Meat temperature should read 135 on an instant - read thermometer.
    If you like it more rare, reduce the additional 3 minutes per pound to 2
    minutes or for less rare, increase the 3 minutes to 5 minutes.

Remove roast from oven. Transfer to a serving platter. Pour or spoon off
    excess fat, reserving about 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup of fat. Put pan over high
    heat and add wine. Deglaze pan well scraping with a wooden spoon. Let
    reduce by half. Pour liquid into a small saucepan and reserve.

For Whole New York Strip Loin, the directions are a little bit different.

According to Barbara Kafka's instructions, it doesn't matter what size the New York strip roast is the directions are the same.

Roasted New York Strip Loin

one 10 pound New York Strip (16 inches) Trussed
    1 head of garlic
    cloves lightly smashed and peeled, optional
    3 to 4 springs fresh thyme
    kosher salt
    pepper
    1 1/2 cup basic beef stock or a combination of beef stock, veal stock or red wine
    2 tablespoons basic veal glaze optional.

Place oven rack on second level from the top of the oven, or second from the bottom if the fat cover is thick. Heat oven to 500°F.

Place strip of beef in an 18 x 12 x 2 inch roasting pan. If using, slip whole cloves of garlic between underside of meat and string. Tuck in the thyme. Slip some more garlic under the string along the top of the meat. Sprinkle the meat on all sides liberally with salt and pepper. Put into oven one hour before it will be served. Roast for 40 to 45 minutes.

Remove and transfer meat to a platter. Cut off strings. Remove the garlic cloves that are too blackened to use. Pour fat from pan. Put the roasting pan on top of the stove. Add stock or wine and the veal glaze, if using and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom vigorously with a wooden spoon. Add flavorings, if using, and any juices that have collected in the platter on which the beef is resting. Let reduce by half. Taste for salt and pepper, pour into a sauceboat and serve.

Roasted Whole beef Fillet

According to Barbara........"I buy the meat by the inch. It cooks exactly the same way no matter the length as long as it s more than 4 inches long. When ordering, I usually allow about an inch and a quarter per person and an extra half inch for the two end slices. By this rule, six people will require an eight inch piece of fillet. The muscles in a fillet all run lengthwise so that when it is sliced a crossed the serving it is also tenderized.

The fillet is also called the tenderloin, and it is tender. It is a long round muscle that hides behind the bones on which the shell steak and the rib roast reside. T-bone steaks have some of the shell and, on the other side of the bone, a circle of the fillet, or tenderloin. A filet mignon is a slice cut a crossed the whole filet to make an individual steak.

4 to 5 pound whole beef fillet (about 3 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter, a good 18 inches long)
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temperature
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup red wine for deglazing, optional, or 1 recipe semi-perigourdine sauce

Place oven rack on second level from bottom. heat oven to 500°F

Place fillet in an 18 x 12 x 2 inch roasting pan. Rub fillet with butter and oil. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. roast for 10 minutes. turn. roast 10 minutes more. Transfer fillet to a serving platter. Pour or spoon off excess fat. Put pan on top of the burner. Add the wine or sauce and bring contents to a boil while scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Let reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper.

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

I took a look at infomercialratings.com and although it got a not terrible 3.5 star rating, here is my personal subjective "review of the reviews":

1) Lots seem in line with what your saying, or at minimum say that it actually increases cooking time rather than decreasing it.

2) With several reviews, I was surprised at the high star rating in relation to what was said. Certainly a factor in the average.

3) With so many reviews similar to yours, it's hard not to wonder exactly who the people are who rave about their great creations using this cooker.

• mistihayes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DukerDawg, The hold time was 72 minutes. I was the 55th caller & couldn't continue to hold. I tried room temperature chicken & port tenderloin & had the same results. Lesson learned. Thank you for your suggestions though.
    AnnT, Thank you so very much for that great information. The roast was expensive, so I don't want to mess up. I'll attempt & hope for the best. You referred to "Home Cookin" book. Is that like a Bible for the kitchen? Maybe I should invest in one. Your instructions are awesome. Also, when it says to use wine does that mean wine that people drink or cooking wine that you find by the vinegar? I'm always confused when a recipe calls for wine & usually forego it out of ignorance.
    FoodOnAStump, Thank you for the research. I read reviews to prior to purchasing. Many were mixed(extremes) & I figured some just didn't know what they were doing. Unfortunately, in buying it, I didn't know what I was doing.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Misti, I am posting on behalf of Ann who is at work and called me to help.

'Cooking wine - you should only cook with what you would drink. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it has to be drinkable. Never ever ever ever (x7) use cooking wine because it is a heavily salted transformation that you should never use - 'not fit for consumption'. If you are confused about using wine, you can continue to do what you are doing and forego it, or use a wine that you like to drink or use broth.

The Home Cooking book - Thibeault's Table - is my own recipe collection. Would you like a copy? Email me via GW.'

Ann via JessyF

• cynic
    15 years ago

I don't have a NuWave, but have an older version that just uses the heating element and convection. It's an appliance like any other and has things that do well in it and things that don't do well. I got mine at Walmart for about $15 or $20 and it's the type with the big glass bowl with the heating element in the top. The commercial showed them cooking shelled eggs which I thought would be great but I WAY overcooked them the first time so I haven't tried them again. But things like tater tots, pizza rolls are fast and good in it. It makes some of the best baked potatoes short of using a grill, and again I think it's probably faster, definitely cheaper than firing up the oven to bake a few taters. I've cooked bacon in it and burgers. Sausage goes well, but most sausage works great in the microwave and it's faster there. I tried baking in it, eh, fair. The one problem is the fan is a problem trying to melt some shredded cheese on things, so making garlic bread it does well, but I like to melt some cheese on it so I usually let it sit and let the retained heat melt it.

I think for a guaranteed tender roast, I'd go with a pot roast, slow cooked. They're delicious anyway. I'm getting used to meat a little more rare but I can't get used to a rare meat. Too spongy for me. I want to use my teeth while I have them!

• slandman
    11 years ago

I've used the Nuwave oven for years. It does cook from frozen, well and quickly, and makes delicious healthy foods. Great way to make chicken - crisp skin, moist inside, with fat left in the pan, from frozen, in 20 minutes.

• slandman
    11 years ago

I've used the Nuwave oven for years. It does cook from frozen, well and quickly, and makes delicious healthy foods. Great way to make chicken - crisp skin, moist inside, with fat left in the pan, from frozen, in 20 minutes.