SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
overlyoptimistic

Layout help: seeking any and all help

overlyoptimistic
16 years ago

This forum is a wonderful resource and I was hoping that I might ask you all for some help on our layout. We're looking to remodel our kitchen, laundry room, bathroom and bedroom. Our 1949 ranch hasn't been touched since it was built. Suffice it to say the drawers are literally falling apart-- we get sawdust with almost every meal and we're sick and tired of pushing the dishwasher to the sink every time we want to run it.

The kitchen faces SW and gets great light. We hired a KD who has drawn up a number of plans based on our requirements. We really like our KD and enjoy the process of working through ideas with her. The remodel plan reflects joint work from her and us.

In the new space, we need a functional kitchen-- no more carrying boiling water across two walking paths. We also want a home office/ home work area for our two young kids. Finally, the house is 1700 sq feet and we rely heavily on the laundry room for storage and we like to air dry some of our clothes (so we really don't want the washer/dryer stacked in a closet). The current plan reduces the size of our third bedroom, but we think this is ok.

The first layout is the current floor plan for the part of the house we want to remodel. The second is the remodel plan. The KD is currently drawing elevations, but I would like to get as much feedback as possible early in the game.

We suspect that we'll want to make a few changes already-- move the range farther away from the corner (12-18 inches), add a wall cabinet above the DW, and possibly change the homework desk shape to an L.

I know it can be hard to see scale in these drawings so I've added some dimensions to the plans.

Again, I'd love your input, and thanks in advance.

CURRENT FLOOR PLAN

CURRENT REMODEL PLAN

Comments (9)