SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmarcel

Hardwood floors and neurotic dog -- need advise

Karen Marcely
13 years ago

I know this is not the place to write about this; I should be writing a pet psychiatrist (or a human one) instead of a home decorating forum. But I am really feeling bad about my neurotic sheltie. I have 2 shelties. One of which is very leary of stairs. I live in a split with 2 steps in the foyer to go up to 1st floor -living room, dining, kitchen, and access to 2nd floor. There is also a 2nd set of steps in my familyroom to get into the kitchen. Five years ago I had hardwoods put in my familyroom and kitchen so the 2 steps there are hardwoods. Since that time my one sheltie goes around to the other set up steps (which are carpeted) to go into kitchen to eat.

Now I want to put hardwoods in my living room, which would mean there those stairs will no longer be carpeted either. My dog is so afraid of the stairs without carpet on them. She won't even go on them with carpet steps. My husband thinks I should just replace the living room with carpet instead of hardwoods mostly because of the dog and he prefers carpet. I really like the wood.

I have tried leash and treats to no avail.I even put her on the one step and tried to give her a treat. She was so stressed being on that step she wouldn't touch the treat, a good meaty one! I know this is not the place for dog advise, I need Caesar for that, but maybe those of you who are dog lovers can appreciate my sympathy for this neurotic animal. Those of you who aren't dog lovers probably think I'm just wacked!

I guess I'm looking for reassurance I should do the hardwood and hope my dog will get over it.

Comments (20)